Anyone working as an EMT and going to School, school

patzyboi

Forum Lieutenant
School as in community college/university.

How are your schedules like?

Im a part time student, and most places require you to work full time, until Fall that is

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Part time employee at a 911 ambulance company. Part time employee at a college EMT program. Part time student taking A&P this semester followed by medic school (4 days a week from 9am-5pm).

Work 2 days a week at ambulance company. Work 1-3 days a week at EMT program. School 2 days a week.

frdude1000

Forum Captain
I go to a 4 year university and am taking a full course load of pre-med classes. I am doing my AEMT at night 2 days a week and on Saturdays.

Youngin

Forum Crew Member
Premium Member
I work 50-60 hours a week at an IFT/911 company, usually 5a-5p, and am in medic class from 6p-10p on a 24/48.

It isn't the most ideal schedule ever, but hopefully it pays off.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
My current job runs from 230 in the afternoon till around seven usually. Most EMT jobs are not going to be like that, so I'll consider myself lucky.

At the ambulance company most of our shifts are 13s so you work only three days a week. Most people just don't schedule class on the days they work.

Ace 227

Forum Lieutenant
Full time university student(studying Political Science of all things...), part-time at a 911 service(25-35 hours per week), volunteer firefighter at my school, paid-per-call firefighter in the city I work in. I also am a Medic in the National Guard and have drill 2 weekends a month(including a drill for Pre-Basic Training soldiers that I help at).

I'm fairly busy but I like it that way.

AGill01

Forum Crew Member
Work most weekends 48 hours and paramedic class 2 days a week. Looking to p/up extra hours at another ambulance company

Anjel

Forum Angel
I work 82 hours Per pay period on the ambulance.

I am finishing up my paramedic class at a local hospital which is equivalent to full-time. And I am registered full-time at a community college for my prerequisites for nursing.

My schedule is as follows:

First week of pay period:

Monday
CC 10am to 1615
Work 2000 to 0800

Tuesday
Paramedic 0900 1700

Wednesday
CC 1000 to 1615
Work 2000 to 0800

Thursday
Clinicals

Friday - Sunday
Day off or clinicals

2nd week

Monday and Wednesday
Community college and work

Tuesday
Paramedic class

Thursday
Clinical

Friday through Sunday
Work 2000 to 0800

Every other week I leave my house at 1900 Saturday and don't go home again until 1800 Tuesday.

It sucks but I'm Alive.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
I went to school full time and worked part time while taking my EMT-Basic course. It took a lot of working getting scheduling everything together but it was possible. I didn't have a lot of free time but it wasn't horrible.

I just got my application ready for next semester. I will be going to school in the evening while working full time. It shouldn't be too bad working 3 days a week and going to school 2 nights.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I go to a 4 year university and am taking a full course load of pre-med classes. I am doing my AEMT at night 2 days a week and on Saturdays.

crap more power to you. I took a hiatus quit my fulltime medic job to be on campus fulltime.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
For the last 3 years i have been going to a university for my bachelors and worked a full time job

I worked 7-3 M-F and took classes at night, but a full boat.
Mondays 4-630, 7-930
Tuesdays 7-930
Wednesdays 4-630
Thursdays 7-930

Finally finished it all Dec 2012, but my employer was totally understanding. Seems the Police Department has begun to see the value of having all of their officers achieve a bachelors degree. They wouldn't even consider patrolman applications if you have less then an Associates or have taken more then 60 credits in pursuit of a bachelors...Now you have to have a bachelors unless you were in the military

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Also took my basic classic at night while a full time student at my undergrad, best decision I've made.

Cos

Forum Ride Along
Full Time EMT, Full Time student, second (really flexible) part time job.

EMT Gig - I work 3on/4off then 4on/3off, alternating weeks. 12 hour+ days, pick up OT on Sundays when I can
School - 4 classes, three online, one night class. Taking Paramedic Prep later on this semester.
Part Time Gig - Whenever I can I work. 8 hour days, usually only one or two days a week, depending on what I have to finish for school.

It's really tough, but I am glad I am doing it. If I didn't have the online classes there is no way that I could get it done.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I was working full time ( 4 on 4 off) and going to medic school full time at a cc plus was taking 2 online classes per semester from a state university. I averaged 1 day off a month. It is all about time management

Lil Medic

Forum Probie
I'm currently doing my AEMT 3 nights a week along with A&P and computers. I work about 30 hours a week right now. Along with about to start volunteering at the fire department. I don't have any freetime at all unless I request a day off work.