Anyone in the know? New CA EMT Hours

Markhk

Forum Lieutenant
Hey everyone,

I've been on an interesting journey trying to find out the new required hours for California EMTs to meeting the 2012 implementation of the National Education Standards. Essentially, the bottom line is that no one - even at the State level - knows exactly what the requirement is even though the implementation date is 8 months away.

In January, CAEMSA released a newsletter verifying that Title 22 will be revised so that the new EMT course hours will increase from 120 hours (110 hours didactic, 10 hours clinicals/field) to 160 hours. My question: does anyone know how the EMT course will be split up between clinicals and didactic?

I was told today by the EMS office that the hours split will be based off the National Education Standard - which is fine except for that the fact that the only hours statement in the NES is that "Course length is estimated to 150-190 take approximately clock hours including the four integrated phases of education (didactic, laboratory, clinical and field) to cover material". (http://www.ems.gov/pdf/811077a.pdf)

For those of you outside California, and have adopted the new NES hours...what are you doing for the clinicals hour requirement? How many hours total is your State requiring?

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
The whole point of the new standards is to move away from a "clock hours" approach towards a "competency based" approach. Meaning YOU schedule your students for the number of hours you think will be required to show minimum competency.

The clock hours approach is an outdated and poor approach to ensuring competent practitioners.

OP
OP
M

Markhk

Forum Lieutenant
I completely understand that, but unfortunately our state's laws (Title 22) will be still be amended to reflect specific course hours. We will not be given a range of hours, as suggested by the NES.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
I completely understand that, but unfortunately our state's laws (Title 22) will be still be amended to reflect specific course hours. We will not be given a range of hours, as suggested by the NES.

Then it's up to the state to decide. Expect the bare minimum.

mike_84

Forum Ride Along
I took my EMT class in California. I wish i had taken it here in Texas though. They are required to do so much more here, that they come away with a better understanding of what's going on. Regardless of the minimum, take as many ride outs as you can get along with ER time. I didn't have any ER time at all, and I wish I had. It would have made taking Patients into the ER's around here much easier, as I would have had an idea on the steps that follow us bringing the PT in. Working 911 in Tyler has opened my eyes. However, people pulled over for EMS back home in California a lot more often than here.... hahaha