Anyone here work in Arizona?

wjohnson90

Forum Ride Along
I'm currently a Basic in LA County, but I've been considering moving to Arizona. What're the best BLS companies to work for? I'm considering training as a Paramedic also, what would you guys say is the best school? Thanks in advance!

HNcorpsman

Forum Lieutenant
im in the navy as a hospital corpsman right now but i was born and raised in tucson, AZ for 18 years... i was a cadet on the tucson fire department, and i went to EMT-B school at PIMA community college in tucson...

most cities in AZ are operated by the fire dept.. in tucson, when a call goes out a ALS fire ambo and a engine go out to the medical call... the paramedics assess the PT and decide if the PT requires a ALS unit or if they need to call for BLS, if so they will call southwest ambo (in tucson) and they will come and pick the PT up and take them to the Hosp. its a little different in phoenix and the surrounding cities, but for the most part the fire dept. ambos are staffed with full time FF/paramedics... but there are always opportunities for BLS jobs in the rural areas...

the big ones are rural/metro, southwest, and PMT...

as for school, in phoenix you have mesa community college, glendale community college, and in tucson you have PIMA... i know for a fact that PIMA is credited by the EMS organization or something like that.

it really depends on which city you are planning to move to... phoenix is a nice city, but is growing very fast and is very big...

tucson is growing as well but not as fast...

i miss AZ sooo much!!! one thing you can count on is blue skies and plenty of sunshine... the smell of the rain when it hits the hot asphalt is amazing!!! haha and dont listen to anybody who says its hot in AZ, its not, its dry so it aint bad at all... i would like those people to live here in okinawa, japan!!! this place is HOT!!! i hate it!

OP
OP
W

wjohnson90

Forum Ride Along
Every major company I've spoken to has a minimum hiring age of 21 years. Are there any companies that take EMTs between 18-21?

HNcorpsman

Forum Lieutenant
in arizona? probably not... seems like most of the states in the west and southwest hire 21 and up, but big cities like new york hire at 18, even the FDNY EMS hires at 18! you can always get a gig at any of the hospitals in phoenix or in tucson, they hire at 18... my buddy got into a program that paid him to go to school and when he was done he got to work in the hospital... all he needed to get into the program was being a EMT...

HNcorpsman

Forum Lieutenant
i know my buddy got paid like 11.00 bucks to go to school and then when he started working at the hosp, they started paying like 13.00... now i think he is at like 15 bucks an hour... not to bad, for AZ... but its a start right? its a path to better and higher education, which equals more money...

plus thats about what you would get paid for a BLS ambo job anyways

HNcorpsman

Forum Lieutenant
just so an add for a EMT position in a maricopa (phoenix) hospital... all it required was that you had an EMT , and you know the basics, diploma, good record :censored::censored::censored::censored: like that... from what i remember from the add, after liek a year of working there you had to be ACLS, and PALS certified which are useful certifications to have and i would assume they would pay for those classes... and hospitals will def send you to some schooling if you are a good worker and are dedicated... just look on the web "EMT job AZ"

good luck

seanm028

Forum Lieutenant
Most of the FDs hire at 18, but they all happen to be on hiring freezes right now. PMT says they'll hire at 18 for non-driving attendant jobs, but they have so many applicants over the age of 21 that they never have to resort to hiring non-driving attendants.

ER tech is your best shot. Either that, or enroll at ASU and volunteer with Student EMS (shameless plug :p). No ambulance, but we get to respond to calls...

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Here in washington I have talked to the EMS companies in the area (excluding the FD's) and all of their websites say 21 and over but they are willing to hire 18 year olds depending on the driving record. The 21 and over is mainly because of insurance. Just call them up and ask.

HNcorpsman

Forum Lieutenant
hey SEANM028,

does ASU have a EMT-P program? just curious, i realize you work for them, but i would imagine you would know the answer to my question... im just planning for school when i get out of the navy... i want to get my associates in paramedicine... and with the new GI BILL i have more of a chance to go to a school like ASU or U of A.

Jeremy89

Forum Captain
hey SEANM028,

does ASU have a EMT-P program? just curious, i realize you work for them, but i would imagine you would know the answer to my question... im just planning for school when i get out of the navy... i want to get my associates in paramedicine... and with the new GI BILL i have more of a chance to go to a school like ASU or U of A.

Hope you don't mind if I answer your question,

Not currently through the school, or SEMS...at the moment. Your best luck is one of the community colleges (where Sean got his EMT) or a private school (DC medprep/ public safety academy/ whatever the hell they call it now).

What do you want to do with your AAS in Paramedicine if you don't mind my asking?

Jeremy

HNcorpsman

Forum Lieutenant
ok thanks... i will probably return to tucson and get my AAS at pima community college in paramedicine...

well i want to get my AAS for several reasons, 1) the navy is paying for it 2) the navy is giving me E-5 housing allowance while going to school 3) the EMS career is progressing to a more professional profession, that would rather see its paramedics with AAS than certs. 4) i want a AAS in something 3) my ultimate goal is to become a flight paramedic, it will be a while down the road because most flight programs want their medics to have at least 5 years of 911 experience in a high call area, but i figure a AAS in paramedicine will help, maybe during those first 5 years i can even get my bachelors degree in emergency mang. or medicine...