Anyone else's Medic program require uniforms on class days?

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Yup. The medic program i'm going into does, and so do the ones I know of back in California. :)

JPINFV

Gadfly
I think it is different if you are in medical school or even a bachelor's program.

I must pose the question again, though. If you can't dress yourself properly for class, do you have a place in the medical/health care field? Alternatively, is there an inherent difference between paramedic education and the other health care fields and could this be one of the reasons why EMS is the red headed stepchild of health care?

Finally, am I just increadibly ignorant (I'm not rulling this out since I've never attended a community college outside of a refresher course) of the kind of population that makes up a large enough population of students at a community college to affect the rules of their courses?

patrick239

Forum Probie
If you can't dress yourself properly for class, do you have a place in the medical/health care field?

Probably not, but no one told some of the people in my class that.

Finally, am I just increadibly ignorant (I'm not rulling this out since I've never attended a community college outside of a refresher course) of the kind of population that makes up a large enough population of students at a community college to affect the rules of their courses?

Not really following you there, must be b/c I have an associates degree from a CC. J/K
The college I am at now actually offers numerous bachelors programs now, including one in the public safety area for those who want to move up the ranks in their field. So not all places that offer EMT-B are CCs.

JPINFV

Gadfly
So not all places that offer EMT-B are CCs.
true.dat.gif

I got my cert out of a crackerjack box (regional training program geared more towards high school seniors actually, but for $120 including books, I can stand the little whipper snappers for the 120 or so hours that the course was). It just seems that around So. California most of the medic programs are community college based (yea, ok, UCLA School of Prehospital Care, but if you claim to be a "UCLA student" because of that everyone will laugh at you) and like to take the paramilitary/uniform style of training.

CAMedicJohn

Forum Probie
Uniforms are mandatory

I completed my medic and my wife is enrolled in the EMT-B class and we were both required to wear our uniform on class days. The Jr. College has a public safety program that is run by mostly active and retired FD instructors. I guess they like the uniform look and it prevents distraction during class. I took a refresher class off campus and saw people dressed in beach wear, sweats, and mini-skirts, jeezzz(for class ??) Also most of the instructors teach the FD academy on the same campus and they are required to be in uniform all during the academy.

At least it eliminates the need to figure out what to wear..

mcvey7218

Forum Crew Member
Uniforms

I just completed Intermediate in December and we were required to wear uniforms to class and to every clinical site-- black duty pants, grey shirt with the star of life and our name embroidered, black belt, black boots... no exceptions. I am now enrolled in our Paramedic program, and it is going to be the same requirement for uniforms. As bad as I hated wearing uniforms to class, I do have to admit that it did instill pride in me for the profession and the skill.

patrick239

Forum Probie
It just seems that around So. California most of the medic programs are community college based (yea, ok, UCLA School of Prehospital Care, but if you claim to be a "UCLA student" because of that everyone will laugh at you) and like to take the paramilitary/uniform style of training.

People can laugh all they want at my uniform, I don't care. I am proud of the education I am getting and I have confidence in my instructors and the program I am attending...