Any Tips for a new EMT

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Hello everybody,

This is my first post and i am about to start my journey into EMS. I have had a passion for helping people and finally put a plan into action. I am starting an EMT-B class in NYS June 1st and was wondering what the professionals had to say(tips ect.). Also are there any steps after certification that I should defiantly take. My ultimate end goal is to be in Federal corrections, but I would love to do volunteer EMS.

Thanks in advance :)

ERDoc

Forum Asst. Chief
You are definitely in the right state for volunteering (not going to get into the volley debate here). Are you a volley right now? That would be the best place to start and most VACs will take you before you are an EMT. Study and study outside of what they are teaching in class. A good grasp on anatomy and physiology is very helpful. The hour or two they spend on it in class barely scratches the surface.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm just going to echo what ERDoc said. Volunteering in NY is how I started. You can probably sign up before you get certified, and start riding with more experienced people. It'll give you a good idea of whether this whole EMS thing is for you.

I'm curious: Why Federal corrections?

OP
OP
NysEms2117

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
well ERDoc if i am assuming correctly volley= volunteer and i have volunteered with little things like helping to clean the hospitals and things like that but nothing medical. I am in albany county which essentially has none, so I would be attempting to get a job, or volunteer outside of the city. Another question I have is if I live in NJ and go to school in NY would it behoove me to take the NR test?

mgr22, i chose federal Corrections because well 1. I have a few connections there(and sadly nepotism rules nowadays) and 2. I just saw it as my greatest opportunity to help people. I am not the best in school(my grades are fine, i just despise actually being there and it takes a toll on me), so Med school was knocked out, and all other healthcare professions you essentially need 6 years now too.

Thank you both for your input!

ERDoc

Forum Asst. Chief
I mean volunteer EMS. You aren't going to find anything in the city or over towards Troy. If I remember correctly, Mohawk and Empire have those covered, although it has been a decade or two so I could be wrong (the exception would be RPI ambulance and I don't think you have to be a student). Get out into suburbia and find a volunteer ambulance corps or FD. They are usually more than happy to take anyone that wants to help.

OP
OP
NysEms2117

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
It is still Mohawk and empire, they have help wanted ads in the paper and around the city, however I presume they are looking for Aemt's and medics correct? And I will certainly do that, colonie ems is volunteer which is in the city.
Thanks again!!

ERDoc

Forum Asst. Chief
I couldn't tell you anything about them, I only remember seeing them when I was up in that area back in 1993. I know they liked the Friendlys on Hoosick.

OP
OP
NysEms2117

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
As an ER doctor do you think a place like Albany med, would have a use for a beginning EMT as a volly? or would it be non certified work (cleaning ect)?

ERDoc

Forum Asst. Chief
In most cases, you will not get a position as an EMT. You might be able to be a CNA, but usually they will require you to go through CNA training. There are a few exceptions but they are usually pretty competitive positions where it helps to know someone (ie Stony Brook hires EMTs to drive their ambulances but it is ultracompetitive).

OP
OP
NysEms2117

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
I have heard a lot of correlation between EMTS and Med techs, do you know of any validity to that?

ERDoc

Forum Asst. Chief
It all depends on where you work but generally there isn't any pt care being provided. Some places hire EMS to do IVs, etc but they usually want CCs or medics.