Any other medics here make the jump to CRNA?

gicts

Forum Lieutenant
I am kicking around the idea of starting the long process of RN to BSN to CRNA and was curious if there is anyone else out there who has made the voyage or thought about it. I had a blast learning from the CRNAs I interacted with through my clinical time. I do enjoy EMS, but I feel like I have more to offer some days than just a taxi service. I just discovered a CRNA forum and am bugging them as well, but I'm hoping to get some thoughts from this side of the aisle as well.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Oh just harden up and become a Consultant Anaesthetist like Brown is planning to do :D .....

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
If you already have a bachelor's degree and the pre-requisites, and you happen to live or want to live in one of the 18 states that currently licenses them*, why not consider becoming an Anesthesiologist Assistants instead. It's basically the a specialized type of PA involved in, you guessed it, providing anasthesia under the direction of an Anesthesiologist.

I make the suggestion because in order to become a CRNA, you're looking at 18 months or so to BSN/RN if you take an accellerated program, then you usually need a year of critical care nursing experience to even be considered for a CRNA program, then the program itself, another two years. By the time you get to that point, the DNP might be required, meaning it's even longer, and part time makes it longer still. At that point, you might as well go to medical school. If you're really sure this is what you want to do, just cut to the chase, get the master's degree now, and skip the interceding parts.

Just something I thought I'd throw out there for you. :)

* - As far as I can find out, those states are: Florida, Georgia, Colorado, South Carolina, North Carolina, Alabama, Kentucky, Missouri, New Mexico, Ohio, Oklahoma, Vermont, District of Columbia, Michigan, New Hampshire, Texas, West Virginia and Wisconsin

OP
OP
gicts

gicts

Forum Lieutenant
Oh just harden up and become a Consultant Anaesthetist like Brown is planning to do :D .....

Oh no! I've seen what it takes to apply to and survive the real deal. I'm not smart enough......or perhaps too smart, to ever do that. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
We don't have that type of nurse in Canada. Are CRNAs strictly in the USA or are they in other countries.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
We don't have that type of nurse in Canada. Are CRNAs strictly in the USA or are they in other countries.

It's a United States phenomenon, though it's not "new". They've been around almost as long as modern anesthesia. I think they've become more common as same-day surgery and minor procedures in doctors offices under general anesthesia have become more common.

OP
OP
gicts

gicts

Forum Lieutenant
If you already have a bachelor's degree and the pre-requisites, and you happen to live or want to live in one of the 18 states that currently licenses them*, why not consider becoming an Anesthesiologist Assistants instead. It's basically the a specialized type of PA involved in, you guessed it, providing anasthesia under the direction of an Anesthesiologist.

I make the suggestion because in order to become a CRNA, you're looking at 18 months or so to BSN/RN if you take an accellerated program, then you usually need a year of critical care nursing experience to even be considered for a CRNA program, then the program itself, another two years. By the time you get to that point, the DNP might be required, meaning it's even longer, and part time makes it longer still. At that point, you might as well go to medical school. If you're really sure this is what you want to do, just cut to the chase, get the master's degree now, and skip the interceding parts.

Just something I thought I'd throw out there for you. :)

* - As far as I can find out, those states are: Florida, Georgia, Colorado, South Carolina, North Carolina, Alabama, Kentucky, Missouri, New Mexico, Ohio, Oklahoma, Vermont, District of Columbia, Michigan, New Hampshire, Texas, West Virginia and Wisconsin

That is something that I had never heard of, and one of the reasons that I decided to start this thread. I actually live in one of those states as well! My major isn't in a related field and I would benefit from taking 2-3 years and doing all of the pre-requisites (none of which I have), but that is the same length that I was estimating a BNS would take.

A huge thank you, it is another route that I may be taking instead!