any info on new NJ EMT-B standards?

NJnewbie

Forum Crew Member
I want to join my local rescue squad and went in the other day to get some info. The Captain told me NJ is moving to a new course for EMT-B's that will be twice as long as the old course. I see this as a good thing, but I can't find any info anywhere as to how the state plans to do this. The old course was the equivalent of a college semester so does this mean the new course will take 2 semesters? I also checked the NJEMS site and they don't have any course schedules up that go past May. Does anyone know when the new course will go into effect?

Thanks-

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
it's not twice as long. the old course was 120 hours, the new one is 200 hours.

There are 4-6 pilot programs being run (New Brunswick and Metuchen are both running them, as is MONOC and some others), and they are all currently in progress.

Everything has already been done, you don't need to worry about it. Just show up and you will be told hold long it will be.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
As far as I know, actually, the new curriculum is in statewide effect now for all programs. The last programs under the old curriculum ended in December.

NJOEMS is rolling out a new certification platform next month. They're not posting any new course updates on the old njoemscert.com site. The new one isn't live yet, though, so you can't look for specific courses. But generally, most EMT schools run at least twice a year. January and August, or something like that. Places like MONOC run more frequent courses. Check you local fire academy, for example.

OP
OP
N

NJnewbie

Forum Crew Member
Ok, sounds good. Thanks for the info. At the squad I want to join I'd have to do 4 months as a probie anyway so by the time I finish that, I'd be ready for the class that starts in August.

Anyway, do you know why they decided to make the course longer? Are they going into more depth or giving us more responsibility? Someone told me they will be letting EMT-Bs administer certain meds, but I find that hard to believe.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
We're switching over to the National Scope of Practice model. The new scope - which I'm sure will have a typical New Jersey flavor - has not yet been released. I suspect they wee waiting for the EMS Reform Act (S818/A2095) to pass before they finalized things, but that's now been vetoed.