Anti-depressants

The Perkinator

Forum Ride Along
I am 19 years old. When I was 17, I started having problems with depression. I was having trouble in school, trouble with religion, and trouble at home. My depression reached its peak soon after I turned 18 when I almost commited sucide. I got LOADS of help in the months after that including some pretty intensive therapy. My depression leveled out, but I could still feel that something was wrong, so a few months ago I went to a psychiatrist and started on anti-depressants. Things have been going very well for me. My psychiatrist, therapist, and I all agree that the anti-depressants are working and that I am doing well.

I started an EMT-B course at a community college a couple weeks ago and am really excited about the prospect of being an EMT. I fully believe that I will be able to handle the stresses that will come with the job, but I am unsure how me being on anti-depressants will affect my ability to be hired. I guarantee that I will be on the anti-depressants for a few more months, but for now I am going under the assumption that I will still be on them when I apply for a job.

I would appreciate if you could give me your input on how current anti-depressant use or past anti-depressant use will affect my abilty to get hired.

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
I would think that your current medications are no one's business but yours. I'm sure someone will chime in with additional information, but why volunteer the information if your mental health care providers all agree that your goals are valid? Even if it comes up, a letter from your health care team would probably be very helpful. Best of luck...

Last edited by a moderator:

41 Duck

Forum Lieutenant
It won't, I wouldn't think. There's more than a few prehospital providers I know that're on some kind of anti-anxiety or anti-depressant medication. But as was previously said--I see no need for such a thing to come up in the hiring process at all.

Later!

--Coop

18G

Paramedic
The anti-depressants your on will not effect you getting hired. If it makes you feel any better, millions of Americans take anti-depressants every day. I take one every day.

Depression is an evil thing as you know all to well. The depression could affect your job if it zaps your motivation and results ina lot of call offs, poor performance at work, etc.

You don't have to disclose what medications your on as part of getting hired.

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
Like everyone said, as long as it doesn't hinder your performance as a health care provider, it's a non-issue.

TccEMT

Forum Crew Member
I took some when I was younger; I've never seen an app that asked. I've seen them ask if I have a medical issue that would affect my ability to do the job, which is a subjective questions. As far as I’m concerned the answer is no, much to the same, I don’t feel my asthma has any impact on my ability to be a firefighter, so I answered “No” on that app also. I take a daily inhaler once each morning, and have not touched my “rescue inhaler” in god knows how many years, (so it’s not like I’m lying – which is what I told the doctor during my pre-hire examine and it worked). I do not think your medication is much different than my example with the asthma.