Animal Attacks

biolife87

Forum Probie
So I read yesterday a story about a bulldog killing a 4 day old newborn because the mother was in the shower. In your experiences, what would you say are the animals to attack not only ems workers, but people in general. bulldogs get such a bad rap but from what my emt-b teacher told our class, most small dogs attack more people but because they are small, that fewer cases are reported compared to larger dog attacks.
thanks

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Any animal, at any time, can attack a human if / when it feels threatened. Irregardless of it being a bulldog, boxer, German Shepard, bull mastiff, parrot, cat, or the biggest fluffiest poodle.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I noticed you said "attack" which any human is capable of as well in those situations...but how many of those animals from that list...KILL!!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

EMS/LEO505

Forum Lieutenant
In my expierience, you have to establish your dominance over the dog. If at any time the dog thinks it can be an Alpha it will challenge its position, thats nature. Trust me, I have many big dogs and all are traighted for attacking/defending. Once in a while my schnauzer will try for dominance and thats when I have to smack him up, you know "keep him in line". Once he realizes that I am still Alpha he will go back to being the lovely dog that he is lol

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Brown establishes his dominace by swanning out the sky in a bright red helicopter dressed in bright orange with "DOCTOR" on the back of his suit .... if only in his mind :D

In Browns experience, anything can attack at any time.

citizensoldierny

Forum Captain
We've had a bad string of Rattle Snake bites in my area lately... Does that count?

Well when you throw that out there dog bites no longer seem all that bad:)

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
Well when you throw that out there dog bites no longer seem all that bad:)

I'd rather be bitten by a rattlesnake.

One bite, too punctures, and some poison that will be counteracted at the hospital...or multiple bites, many punctures, shredded skin and muscle, torn ligaments and tendons, severed nerves, and if you're unlucky, the attack doesn't stop until you're dead. If you survive the attack, you'll probably come out alright eventually, after reconstructive surgery, rehab therapy, etc., and the scars (not only physical) will always be there.

(Note that this presupposes you're not too far away from a hospital that can treat rattlesnake venom, of course!)

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
I could walk in to "Person down" situations with big "killer" dogs all around and never once had an incident. Loud barks never disturbed my forward movement (with caution, of course).

But if I heard a "Yip-Yip-Yip!" inside the house, I'd get ready because more than once (and the only breed to EVER attack me) were those damn Chi-hua-huas! I've had to beat their teeth out of the ankles of my boots!

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
Personally, I'd take the rattlesnake or the attack dog over a hoof to the face. Horses and mules can do serious damage very quickly. Luckily, you should be fine if you don't startle them.

I'd rather be bitten by a rattlesnake.

Ditto. Although they're venomous, they often dry bite or inject too little venom to truly endanger your life.

dc990

Forum Ride Along
Personally, I'd take the rattlesnake or the attack dog over a hoof to the face. Horses and mules can do serious damage very quickly. Luckily, you should be fine if you don't startle them.

First post here and I will do an intro post shortly. I second the horse comment. My daughter was accidentally knocked over by one of ours two years ago and when the horse found out something was under him panicked and tried to stomp it (her) while getting away. In less than 2 seconds she was knocked to the ground, stepped on the center of the back of the head on her back and lost a few baby teeth. Fortunately she was choppered to the hospital and has recovered 100%.

Just like with dogs and their bite, size matters! No jokes needed.;)

DarkStarr

Forum Lieutenant
there are several section 8 apt complexes which house many 'animals', which we hope the other service gets dispatched to instead o:

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
In my expierience, you have to establish your dominance over the dog. If at any time the dog thinks it can be an Alpha it will challenge its position, thats nature. Trust me, I have many big dogs and all are traighted for attacking/defending. Once in a while my schnauzer will try for dominance and thats when I have to smack him up, you know "keep him in line". Once he realizes that I am still Alpha he will go back to being the lovely dog that he is lol

Ill give you my address go over to my house and attempt to assert your dominance over the hundred fifty pound monster I got waiting at my door. If you attempt "to smack him up." If your lucky you'll only lose an arm. :)

I dont suggest you attempt to establish dominance over a strange dog, especially one that is in its own enviorment and sees you as a threat. Let the owners handle them or alert animal control.

A dog will protect whats his and some will do it to the death. Dont put yourself or the dog in that situation.

clibb

Forum Captain
Ill give you my address go over to my house and attempt to assert your dominance over the hundred fifty pound monster I got waiting at my door. If you attempt "to smack him up." If your lucky you'll only lose an arm. :)

I dont suggest you attempt to establish dominance over a strange dog, especially one that is in its own enviorment and sees you as a threat. Let the owners handle them or alert animal control.

A dog will protect whats his and some will do it to the death. Dont put yourself or the dog in that situation.

Same. If I get hit or pushed by anyone, my dog will go to attack. He's trained to do that. If you give him the attack word and point at me; he will attack you.
Other than that, nicest dog in the world.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C

As an animal behaviorist and certified dog trainer I have to agree 100%. the whole Dominance argument is BS. Dogs are not wolves. Trying to assert physical dominance is not a good idea.

99.99% dogs will not attack you if you do not pose a threat to them. That means don't stare at them, don't walk straight at them, don't try to touch them.

If you ignore them completely they will leave you alone.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
Luckily, I've never yet had a uncontrolled large dog that was serious about attacking me. I did get a large puppy that was serious about playing with me, though, which was also inconvenient.

Most of the time, if they're running around and barking, they're just spun up from all the chaos. I'd worry more about one that's standing his ground, staring right at me, and growling.

As an animal behaviorist and certified dog trainer I have to agree 100%. the whole Dominance argument is BS. Dogs are not wolves. Trying to assert physical dominance is not a good idea.

99.99% dogs will not attack you if you do not pose a threat to them. That means don't stare at them, don't walk straight at them, don't try to touch them.

If you ignore them completely they will leave you alone.

What do you think of carrying dog treats? A lot of local delivery guys swear by it, and I've been wondering if I should stash one in the bag.

emtchick171

Forum Lieutenant
I'll agree that horses and mules are much more dangerous than dogs...I've owned horses and been around them my entire life and I have been much more injured by horses than I have dogs.

However, if I pull up on scene and see a "beware of dog" sign or even see a dog that isn't properly chained/fenced...I'm not getting out of my ambulance. I'm sorry for that PT, but if I step out of the truck and get attacked...then there is more than one casualty. I can't help my PT if I am injured myself.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
What do you think of carrying dog treats? A lot of local delivery guys swear by it, and I've been wondering if I should stash one in the bag.

A stressed out dog will not be interested in treats, so if you have them and the dog eats them, you probably don't really need them to control the dog in the first place. if you have treats and the dog doesn't want them they are useless anyways.

I usually ask a family memeber to put the dog out, or in another room. otherwise call PD or animal control if you are scared. A lot of neighbors can help with dogs too because they know each other (dogs and neighbors)