Angioedema and ACE inhibitors

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
I remember learning about the relationship between Angiotensin and Bradykinin etc, but I never made the connection between it and ACE inhibitors. Yay science.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMicm1014034

Not that we're going to do anything about it in the field, but it's nice to know what they hell is, or could be going on in the body, especially when out treatments don't work as expected.

This is also a great example of something that wasn't covered in any meaningful way in the paramedic curriculum, but was covered at length in my A&P courses. Not that I remember all the details inflammatory response and chemical messengers involved, but I remembered enough to make things familiar.

And for some strange reason, probably because it was relatively simple, I remember and love knowing the renin-angiotensin cycle...call me weird, but I like knowing why my patient is thirsty when they're in shock.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
This is also a great example of something that wasn't covered in any meaningful way in the paramedic curriculum, but was covered at length in my A&P courses. Not that I remember all the details inflammatory response and chemical messengers involved, but I remembered enough to make things familiar..

Expertly presented here:

http://www.amazon.com/Robbins-Cotra...sr=8-1&keywords=pathological+basis+of+disease

And for some strange reason, probably because it was relatively simple, I remember and love knowing the renin-angiotensin cycle...call me weird, but I like knowing why my patient is thirsty when they're in shock.

If you do not understand and cannot recite RAA when being woken in the dead of night, you will never understand shock.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I am very tempted to buy the kindle version.....Oops. Add another $75 to my textbook expenses

$75 is nothing. It has been a couple of years since I have spent under $300 on one.

Veneficus

Forum Chief

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Nothing I have seen comes remotely close to Robbins.

I can honestly say this is the best book I have ever bought, hands down. Fanstasic explanations and very easy to follow but still written at a high academic level. The Cardiac chapter totally changed my understanding of CHF and everything makes so much more sense now.

I wish I had just spent the money and bought the real text, the kindle version has some issues. There is also a pocket version for like $30 that I heard is very good if anyone does not want to spend the money on the big book.

OP
OP
Jambi

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
I can honestly say this is the best book I have ever bought, hands down. Fanstasic explanations and very easy to follow but still written at a high academic level. The Cardiac chapter totally changed my understanding of CHF and everything makes so much more sense now.

I wish I had just spent the money and bought the real text, the kindle version has some issues. There is also a pocket version for like $30 that I heard is very good if anyone does not want to spend the money on the big book.

All that inside 3 days eh? Isn't science grand? I'm making do with what I've got for now, but it's on my wish list as will pick it up finances permitting. I currently have text book envy.

How's the kindle version?

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
All that inside 3 days eh? Isn't science grand? I'm making do with what I've got for now, but it's on my wish list as will pick it up finances permitting. I currently have text book envy.

How's the kindle version?

The kindle version is ok for the most part (I am using the IPad version) but the biggest issue is the lack of page numbers. The text frequently references other pages for further detail however there are only chapter headings and no page numbers so finding the information is pretty much impossible without reading through half the chapter. Also the diagrams or images are set up weird, you will see an image and then won't have the information to go with that image until two pages later. It makes it hard to follow.

Regardless of those issues the information is well worth the frustration. It blows my nursing pathophys book away

OP
OP
Jambi

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
The kindle version is ok for the most part (I am using the IPad version) but the biggest issue is the lack of page numbers. The text frequently references other pages for further detail however there are only chapter headings and no page numbers so finding the information is pretty much impossible without reading through half the chapter. Also the diagrams or images are set up weird, you will see an image and then won't have the information to go with that image until two pages later. It makes it hard to follow.

Regardless of those issues the information is well worth the frustration. It blows my nursing pathophys book away

The whole page number thing would drive me batty. Thanks for the info, I'll hold out for a hard copy.