Anatomy and Physiology.

MDA

Forum Lieutenant
I recently picked up a somewhat current infamous MarieB A&P books.
As you may know or not know I'm waiting to go to Medic school and trying to get ahead.

Glancing through the book there seems to be some stuff I won't necessarily need right now, so I want to focus on the important aspects before I worry about the little details.

So, with that said, what you would consider essential things to know and master first?

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
The Human Body: An Orientation (ch 1 in my 7th edition)... especially the section entitled "The Language of Anatomy"
-positional and directional terms, planes, sections, cavities and membranes.

The Cardiovascular System: The Heart (ch 18)
- gives you a good head start on understanding cardiac pathologies, EKGs, heart sounds, preload, cardiac output, etc, etc.

The Cardiovascular System: Blood Vessels (ch 19)
- relevant to blood pressure, atherosclerosis and such, shock, etc.

The Respiratory System (ch 22)
- upper airway anatomy, ventilation, gas exchange, neural control mechanisms, pathology of COPD and asthma.

Fluid, Electrolyte, and Acid-Base Balance (ch 26)
-body fluid balance, chemical buffer systems, sodium, potassium, and calcium regulation, more pathologies.

These chapters basically cover your ABCs, some terminology, and the fluid/electrolyte/acid-base balance stuff that is important to understand when giving IV fluids and certain drugs.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
You're going to use the whole thing one day or the next mate; jump in and read it from cover to cover and then do it again.

Be sure to look at the DVD as well.

OP
OP
M

MDA

Forum Lieutenant
Just out of curiosity, why is the Marieb A&P book infamous?

I used "infamous" somewhat sarcastically or purposely out of context because it's a widely known, reputable, and the favorite A&P book of many people.

Sorry, it's hard to decipher the way someone means something through text online, only option you have is to take it at face value and this time it brought confusion, ha.

terrible one

Always wandering
have you taken a college A&P course?

FreezerStL

Forum Crew Member
You're going to use the whole thing one day or the next mate; jump in and read it from cover to cover and then do it again.

Be sure to look at the DVD as well.

This.

Its hard to comprehend some concepts of A&P without knowing why the cells/organs/organ systems perform the way they do.

It will be hard to understand when you first start reading, but eventually things will click :wacko:

Good luck :D

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
M

MDA

Forum Lieutenant
have you taken a college A&P course?

Yeah, I did well in it, but I don't think I retained a lot of the information.
I mean I'm not going into it blind, and I do have a solid grasp on the basics.

...and Grover Beach I was over your way this last weekend.

terrible one

Always wandering
If you've already taken a course in A&P you should be fine, I would just review the chapters you struggled with a little more.
I actually just moved out of SLO county down south, guess I should update .... Haha