Ambulance Warning Lights

jchow2156

Forum Ride Along
What type of warning lights is everyone using now, Halogen, Strob or LED, and is anyone using lightbars.

Our new truck has the new generation whelen 9M series LEDS, man they are bright

ArcticKat

Forum Captain
Indeed, LED technology has come a long ways since your 1970s era calculator. We haven't had light bars for over 15 years now. You can see a picture of our ambulances on our company website. www.kelvingtonmhs.ca. The two on the right have rotating beacons all the way around with strobe flashers in the grille and fenders. The one on the left is entirely LED.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Our older rigs have combination halogen rotators/flashers. We have two rigs with all LEDs and one with...get this...halogen rotators, halogen flashers, LED units and strobe flashers. Ha ha!

The only thing I don't like about LEDs is they are very unidirectional. If you are dead on in the LOS, they are blinding. Perfect. But if you are a few degrees off, visibility is DRASTICALLY reduced.

So I really like the rig with everything on it cause all bases are covered. Truly, no matter what angle you view that rig from, you can see it very well.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
The only thing I don't like about LEDs is they are very unidirectional. If you are dead on in the LOS, they are blinding. Perfect. But if you are a few degrees off, visibility is DRASTICALLY reduced.

That was definitely true of older LED modes, but I'd say that problem has been mostly remedied with the newer products like the OP speaks of.

All are trucks are a year old or less and their LEDs are very visible off angle. Then for some reason, the new trucks came in with halogen flashers that are barely visible during the day from any angle. Someone checked the wrong box I guess.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
great_weather_for_working_by_mediconi-d3fhpi7.jpg

All LEDs, including the lightbar.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
All LED on almost all of our front line and spare trucks. Only exception is the POS I work on and it's identical twin from the same station. They're both 2007's and extremely high mileage (and mine was a lemon when it was new) but until the garage doors get widened, they have to do. Those one's are halogens.

JPINFV

Gadfly
great_weather_for_working_by_mediconi-d3fhpi7.jpg

All LEDs, including the lightbar.

For the love of all that is good and holy, please have someone proof read your company's website. I've seen fly by night IFT operations with more professional websites (really, a discussion on 'EMS= Earn Money Sleeping?').

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Heh I have already had that discussion with out supervisor who supposedly takes care of our website. One of the reasons I never post my services website really.
But in NM, we are one of the few private 911 options, so word of mouth tends to work better than the website :p Yay for such a small state (pop wise)

SFox3325

Forum Probie
All of our rigs have halogen light bars. The brush trucks have LED's in the front, and rear on the fenders. The rescue vehicle had strobes on the front, sides, and rear with a smaller Code 3 halogen light bar (that I repaired). I like the halogen's, and the strobes over the LEDs, because we can see them from all directions. Stay safe everyone :)

svfd21emt

Forum Ride Along
Both of our ambulances have Rotating Halogen, Flashing Halogen, Strobe, and Wig-Wags. No LED's yet but they are on the way. Our firetucks on the other hand have rotating halogen, flashing halogen, Wig-Wags, Strobe, and LED lights.

svfd21emt

Forum Ride Along
Both of our ambulances have Rotating Halogen, Flashing Halogen, Strobe, and Wig-Wags. No LED's yet but they are on the way. Our firetucks on the other hand have rotating halogen, flashing halogen, Wig-Wags, Strobe, and LED lights.

All of our units have rotating halogen beacons on them.

frdude1000

Forum Captain
The first response truck I run out of has a led lightbar on top with a small led dash light as well. We got the lightbar off ebay new for a good deal, it is code 3 or whelen but it does its job well.

Our new ambulances do not have a lightbar. They have LED grill lights and those square LED surface mount lights on the sides.

Our old ambulances have halogen light bars in addition to surface mount lights.

traumaluv2011

Forum Lieutenant
Two of our rigs have rotating halogens and strobes. I think our third (and newest) rig had an LED light bar and strobes. We don't take it out much, it's only for beriatric calls and motor vehicle accidents.

As for my personal vehicle, I have a mini-phantom with 64 LEDs. Most of our squad has these. They are great!

Nerd13

Forum Lieutenant
We have rigs with all of the different configurations. I prefer the rigs with the LEDs. Driving them I notice that people pull over sooner in all conditions. Driving my personal vehicle I have twice now seen one of our rigs coming from about a mile away in broad daylight. If I see it coming and pull over soon enough that I feel awkward sitting there and waiting then the lights are doing their job in my opinion.

traumaluv2011

Forum Lieutenant
Here are the two with halogen (and our captain's car with halogens as well) and the second is the back of the LED one. I don't have any front pictures.

Attachments

• 296005_159325347480290_132231483523010_328740_6753857_n.jpg
    296005_159325347480290_132231483523010_328740_6753857_n.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 273
  • 298780_159326050813553_132231483523010_328745_6686925_n.jpg
    298780_159326050813553_132231483523010_328745_6686925_n.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 282

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
All LED on almost all of our front line and spare trucks. Only exception is the POS I work on and it's identical twin from the same station. They're both 2007's and extremely high mileage (and mine was a lemon when it was new) but until the garage doors get widened, they have to do. Those one's are halogens.

Define high mileage, we only have one truck that isn't within a few K of 300K :ph34r:

All halogen rotators/flashers here with wig wags on the headlights. I've run hot only thrice in over a year, though.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Shelley Watson

Forum Probie
This is a wonderful post. Many forums do not ever consider to start a thread even for ambulance. This forum actually covers all the problems of medical professional.

volmedic85

Forum Ride Along
I'm all for LED's, I feel they are safer for the responders, to be seen. The only down side is at night some units I feel are too bright for drivers passing by. It can be almost blinding.