Ambulance Strike

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief

High Speed Chaser

Forum Crew Member
I assume this is the type of strike where they still respond to code 1.

Fair enough, most paramedics are overworked and under paid. One of my teachers tells me he has nothing but respect for them due to the conditions and pay they get especially in Victoria.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe its 2 days on, 2 nights on 4 days off.

Last edited by a moderator:

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
When I worked in Charleston SC, we had a 24/48 schedule. Due to staffing issues, we would frequently be held over for an additional 12-24, effectively working a 36/36, or 48/24. We were also subject to recall from home whenever we weren't capped out from a 48 hour shift. When they called me, I would tell them that I had several alcoholic beverages just before they called me. Exactly what type of schedule is EMS currently working out your way? the 10/14 setup from the article wasn't painting a clear picture.

OP
OP
Melclin

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
As I understand it, at this stage they are still responding to all call, but I may be wrong. At the moment there are just a number of measures in place to basically make life harder for AV. Research information is not being recorded, I think there's something to do with PCRs, they're taking 10 hour breaks in between shifts despite only being allowed 8, and they're not taking students or any observers. As time goes on the measures will get progressively worse.

MORE INFO: http://responsetime.org.au/

OP
OP
Melclin

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
When I worked in Charleston SC, we had a 24/48 schedule. Due to staffing issues, we would frequently be held over for an additional 12-24, effectively working a 36/36, or 48/24. We were also subject to recall from home whenever we weren't capped out from a 48 hour shift. When they called me, I would tell them that I had several alcoholic beverages just before they called me. Exactly what type of schedule is EMS currently working out your way? the 10/14 setup from the article wasn't painting a clear picture.

Man that sucks. How could you be expected to drive safely, let alone treat patients after a shift that long?

The basic roster works on an 8 day cycle, two 10 hour days shifts, two 14 hour night shifts, then four days off (but there's heaps of different rosters + overtime). But I think the problem is with people having to work considerably more than that. I can't really say for sure seeing as though I'm just a student, but I'm sure MelbMICA will probably have something to say on the issue, he'd be the best person to comment, seeing as though he's probably involved in the action.

High Speed Chaser

Forum Crew Member
They should sit some ambulances outside parliament and Ambulance Victoria HQ and blast the sirens for a while. Also they should only respond to code 1 (L&S) making sure that ambulances not on code 1 calls stay outside blasting there sirens. That will show them.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Man that sucks. How could you be expected to drive safely, let alone treat patients after a shift that long?

The basic roster works on an 8 day cycle, two 10 hour days shifts, two 14 hour night shifts, then four days off (but there's heaps of different rosters + overtime). But I think the problem is with people having to work considerably more than that. I can't really say for sure seeing as though I'm just a student, but I'm sure MelbMICA will probably have something to say on the issue, he'd be the best person to comment, seeing as though he's probably involved in the action.

We can't. That's one of the reasons I left there. It's the Deep South, no unions, and the "If you don't like it then leave, you're not going to change anything" mentality. Where I work currently as a Firemedic, we work 24's as XOXOXOOOO. We can be held, or work OT up to 36 hours, and are required at least 12 hours in between shifts. In NYC, FDNY EMS has 8 hour shifts, are capped at 16 hours by law, with at least 8 hours in between shifts. Good for them, going on strike for improved salary, benefits, working conditions and such. Strength in Solidarity!

Flipper

Forum Ride Along
Response Time!

Ambos of the world unite!

Your (very) poor little cousins down (very) south need your support!!!!!!!

How can one make life and death decisions based upon the sort of information patients give - let's face it - most of them elaborate - if they don't have their wits about them?

How can one make such decisions given an 8 hour break - remembering you can be "asked" to travel up to an hour ( or more ) to do so - THAT EQUATES TO 6 HOURS SLEEP IF YOU GO DOWN THE MINUTE YOU GET HOME AND WAKE UP EXACTLY WHEN YOU HAVE TO LEAVE FOR THE NEXT SHIFT - no showers, no life for you!!!!!.

Don't know about you, but if someone comes to my house, IF I need an ambulance - I'll be checking which shift they're on, and if they haven't had a break - my car to the hospital is probably better (But I'll take from their ambulance what I need.)

So Sad to see a world leading ambulance service fall to a lack of government funding and support.

And the 10 hour break is only the beginning - It does get worse!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Melclin

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Welcome to the forum flipper. Nice to have another Melbournian. Good luck with your action.

Flipper

Forum Ride Along
Hey Mr Melclin

THANKS for the support. We need all the support we can get, and it's nice a student is with us. Watch what you say though - don't want the powers that be cottoning on and guessing you said something already - they're going after all of us for that so don't encourage that sort of behaviour.

High Speed Chaser

Forum Crew Member
Just thought I would post a couple of videos.

[youtube]vOHI6I2W-0k[/youtube] [youtube]dGr9u_Umhic[/youtube]
I have only watched the start of the bottom one.

OP
OP
Melclin

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
THANKS for the support. We need all the support we can get, and it's nice a student is with us. Watch what you say though - don't want the powers that be cottoning on and guessing you said something already - they're going after all of us for that so don't encourage that sort of behaviour.

No worries mate, I'm ganna have to put up with their BS soon enough so the more I can help you blokes and gals out the better ;) I appreciate your concern but they can get stuffed if they wanna go after people for posting publicly available news stories elsewhere on the internet.

UPDATES PEOPLE: "Ambo battle heats up", Billing data is no longer being recorded so pt.s are essentially getting the service for free.

http://responsetime.org.au/content/ambo-battle-heats

Go to responsetime.org.au to register your support for us down under.

downunderwunda

Forum Captain

I tisnt only you guys that are pushing it up hill. NSW were offerred 2.5% with no trade offs, or higher with trade offs (3.9%). One trade off relates to transfer & the costs associated with them, it was estimated with the 1.4% difference it would take each officer 30 years to make up the difference of 1 move.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Informational Picketing versus the real deal (a'la Teamsters)

The fight is won first in public opinion via the news, then through singling out the worst offenders and outing their practices. Everyone has to start documenting who said what when and where and who else heard or saw it. Get photocopies of duty rosters.

If the job action becomes goon squad stuff like the old Teamsters strikes here, you lose. Always hold the high ground.

High Speed Chaser

Forum Crew Member
Just an update on this.
It has been decided that Ambulance Victoria staff will strike but will not directly put the general public's health at risk.

Some things include
source said:
From 7am today [Friday the 17/07-2009] paramedics will resume 13 different types of industrial action.

They will defy Ambulance Victoria’s eight hour break policy and instead enforce 10-hour rest breaks between shifts to combat fatigue.
It will be the responsibility of Ambulance Victoria to ensure there is ambulance coverage for the additional two hours.

Other actions include providing a free ambulance service, defying AV’s media policy, bans recalls to duty during rest breaks, reverting to paper-based patient care records, bans on filling in for managers on leave, and wearing campaign material over uniforms.

Source

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
Wow, this still hasn't been resolved?

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Historically, Nursing, PD and PD all had to organize to get anywhere. It isn't all about education in the end.

Kookaburra

Forum Lieutenant
Meclin, I would like to post about this in another forum... would you be able to summarize what the shifts are like in layperson speak? I want to make sure I get all the info correctly, and I'm not familiar enough with the shorthand you're using to feel confident translating it into non-EMS-speak.

OP
OP
Melclin

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Meclin, I would like to post about this in another forum... would you be able to summarize what the shifts are like in layperson speak? I want to make sure I get all the info correctly, and I'm not familiar enough with the shorthand you're using to feel confident translating it into non-EMS-speak.

Sorry for the late reply. I could try, but I'd fail miserably. Just a student. I don't really know what the shifts are like for the guys and gals out on the road. If you really wanna know, PM MelbourneMICA. He's in the thick of it. Although from his lack of commenting in this thread, he might be abstaining from any public debate for any number of valid reasons.

The response time website that I posted earlier will probably tell you all you need to know. It's aimed at the general public.