ambulance speed?

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Even 85 is pushing it. Fully loaded we are sitting around 18000+ lbs. That's a lot of weight going really fast, with disc brakes.

I always wondered why Type I and III units don't use air brakes but I guess it would be a total pain in the butt to get every employee a CDL with an airbrake endorsement and have it as a prereq for employment.
Air brakes are slower and FAR jerkier than hydraulic brakes.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
Air brakes on an ambulance would be a rough ride and excessive.

Most states have an exception for the air brake endorsement on emergency vehicles so that wouldn't be an issue.

OP
OP
P

paramedic911

Forum Probie
thanks

thank you all for reply , i appreciate all your effort to save life
thanks again

pcp

Forum Crew Member
In sask our protocol says we have no limit, running code 2 (normal transport) we have to follow posted speed limits and follow street rules. If running code 4 we have no speed limit other then to follow road safety if roads are icy dont go 180.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
At my current service, we cap out at 80. Personally, even on the interstate, I think that 80 is pushing it. A Ford simply isn't going to stop or turn on a dime and I want to do this job for a long time, not go out in a blazing rollover.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Airbrakes are also a bit less reliable without constant maintenance than hydraulic brakes, in my experience. A brake leak can usually be felt or at least noticed with a careful inspection of the vehicle. Air brake failures tend to be a lot harder to detect and they usually are a lot harder to fix.

*experience is from military vehicles, so it may vary significantly. Strykers are notorious for blowing front brake lines.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
For those of you who say you go the speed limit, or no more than 10 over, on the interstate are you talking about the posted speed limit or what everyone is actually driving? Because where I live everyone goes 5-10mph over the speed limit on the interstate normally.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
For those of you who say you go the speed limit, or no more than 10 over, on the interstate are you talking about the posted speed limit or what everyone is actually driving? Because where I live everyone goes 5-10mph over the speed limit on the interstate normally.

For us we are 10 over posted up to a max of 75. So if we are in a 75 zone we're stuck running code at the speed limit.

If traffic is running under the limit then no more than 10over what traffic is doing.