Ambulance Driver's License (ADL)

noelpat

Forum Ride Along
for one thing, it is not "ambulance driver"!! that is one of THE BIGGEST insults to a Paramedic! once when i was on a ride we got into it with this snooty CNA at the ER because she told us that she didn't need an ambulance driver (uggh, i hate that word!!) telling her how the patient was doing when she could see for herself. i very politely (well, that's kind of stretching it) informed her that she could go back to whatever floor she came from and be a bedpan changer like she really was. you can guess how many laughs that got! we had PATIENTS and TOP ER PHYSICIANS laughing at it; i guess no one like her anyway (except for maybe the bedpans; she WAS the one who dumped them) lol sometimes you just need a good laugh but PLEASE , i tell you, PLEASE DO NOT USE THE TERM "AMBULANCE DRIVER" AGAIN!! IT IS DISRESPECTFUL WHERE I COME FROM!!

Hey MedicObserver! I don't know where you're from and I understand that to be called an "ambulance driver" by a professional in the medical field is an insult, but here in California, DMV notes the driver certification as an "ADL". What do you think that stands for??? "Ambulance Driver License". I know you were trying to make a point, but the original poster of the question was just referring to the California DMV's term for this type of license. Be a bit smarter about your responses in the future. Also, as a Paramedic, it is your job to care for people and treat other medical professionals with respect, even when they do not show respect to you.

Joe

Forum Captain
Hmmm, would now be a bad time to mention I passed it first time, with 0 wrong?

hey me too! that test was actually kind of easy...

Whoever said that people tend to fail the California DMV Ambulance test was right. I read the booklet twice, did the online test, felt great, after all, I had finished the NREMT with 70 questions, so I thought I was good.

I failed the test.

The DMV lady was surprised also. She said I could take it again right away, but maybe best to study a little? So I went home and studied that booklet for two days straight, hours and hours. I went back, and I still missed two questions.

So study hard.

Peter

that sucks man, if you can use google it would have saved you the 5 bucks for the blue book...

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
hey me too! that test was actually kind of easy...

that sucks man, if you can use google it would have saved you the 5 bucks for the blue book...

Then do please share the link.

Joe

Forum Captain
hahaha you guys are too much... it is literally the first thing that pops up when you google it. maybe there is a reason you had to take it twice lol

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
i wasnt sure if we could actually share the link because it is the exact test with the answers.

Somewhere in there, perhaps, but the link itself -- since it's a search feature -- does not appear to violate our rules.

nonameheroes

Forum Probie
I believe its 30 bucks to take the test in cali...and I think you also need your medical examiner's physical as well before you can take it along with the other stuff already mentioned.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Brown applauds California for having an Ambulance drivers certificate requirement.

In Canada you require a Class F (or 4) license, in the UK you require a C and D endorsement and in Australia you need a Class MR license. Each of these jurisdictions recognises driving as the most dangerous part of the role and strictly limits driving hours as well as imposing a higher standard of medical fitness and driving ability.

But not in the USA you can hop in with no training and be let loose in an ambulance after that awesome 100 hours course which tells you about how much lights and siren sand rapid transport help.

systemet

Forum Asst. Chief
I just want to add that I'm not that impressed with the class 4. It's a quick multiple choice exam that focuses on taxicabs, ambulances and police vehicles and low capacity school buses. A fair percentage of the questions are about when the bus driver should use their crossing lights. Then it's a brief medical, and a 30 minute road test with a slightly lower threshold for failing than a regular driver's licence. Then you have to file a new medical every 5 years.

Decent systems should put their staff through regular driver training, in the CEVO / NAPD model.

kapster68

Forum Ride Along
DOT Physical in California

:excl:Do not over pay for your DL-51 physical:excl:. If you spend more than $75.00 your getting ripped off. In the San Fernando Valley you can go to Norton Medical on Sepulveda (818)779-1900. DOT Physical is only $65.00 there but you must call to set an appointment. Most walk-in clinics are charging $75.00-$100.00 so shop around.;)