Ambulance blocked in dispute over driveway...patient dies

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
It's not like they were in her way at all. In fact, she had to park way out of her way, fifty yards from her house, just to block the ambulance, instead of just pulling up to her house in her perfectly clear driveway. That's totally malicious. I say ban her from driving for the rest of her life, and rescind her healthcare coverage too.

amberdt03

Forum Asst. Chief
The whole situation could have been avoided by them parking in the street.

The brief time I worked 911, we parked in the street. A little walking never hurt. Ten minutes over the 1 minute to walk down the driveway.

yeah i've never seen anyone park in the driveway before, always on the street. but you know how some people are lazy.

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
yeah i've never seen anyone park in the driveway before, always on the street. but you know how some people are lazy.

that still doesnt make what she did any less wrong in the end if the medics were being lazy.

time to get out the push bumpers ^_^

amberdt03

Forum Asst. Chief
that still doesnt make what she did any less wrong in the end if the medics were being lazy.

i never said what she did was right. yeah she f'd up, would the guy have died regardless, we will never know.

Sasha

Forum Chief
It's not like they were in her way at all. In fact, she had to park way out of her way, fifty yards from her house, just to block the ambulance, instead of just pulling up to her house in her perfectly clear driveway. That's totally malicious. I say ban her from driving for the rest of her life, and rescind her healthcare coverage too.

unless the ambulance parked in such a way that she couldnt pull into her driveway. which is totally possible. many people feel that because they drive an ambulance they own the road and do not have to adhere to any laws. which is incorrect.

amberdt03

Forum Asst. Chief

i never said what she did was right. yeah she f'd up, would the guy have died regardless, we will never know, but he probably would have had a better shot if there wasn't a delay

reaper

Working Bum

You obviously don't work in areas where the house maybe a 1/8 mile off the street!

I pull in driveways, when ever possible. Makes loading pt easier and safer. Why load a pt in the street with traffic moving, if you can back into a driveway and load them?

Has nothing to do with being lazy. It has to do with thinking ahead and being safe.;)

medic417

The Truth Provider
You obviously don't work in areas where the house maybe a 1/8 mile off the street!

I pull in driveways, when ever possible. Makes loading pt easier and safer. Why load a pt in the street with traffic moving, if you can back into a driveway and load them?

Has nothing to do with being lazy. It has to do with thinking ahead and being safe.;)

I agree. Work smarter not harder. Even patient privacy can become an issue if you wheel them out into the street.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I agree. Work smarter not harder. Even patient privacy can become an issue if you wheel them out into the street.

thats not patient privacy. if it was' we,d transport all patients with sheets over their head, incase someone caught a glance as you were loading.

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
She didn't kill anyone. Even the prosecuting lawyer says that.

Sorry, I didn't see that.

Perhaps there should be a revision made to "misdemeanor obstruction" in the law books to include any and all emergency response vehicles rather than just LEO's with a nice fine attached to that.

Buzz

Forum Captain
thats not patient privacy. if it was' we,d transport all patients with sheets over their head, incase someone caught a glance as you were loading.

I've had patients ask us to quickly get them in the truck and close the doors because everyone on their street was getting nosey and standing out on the porches trying to see what we were doing--not that we weren't already thinking about that. It's not such a concern that we would totally cover a patient (though I did have someone ask for that once--which only made someone yell something along the lines of "Oh my god. Someone died!") but more time outside is more time for people to see the patient.

medic417

The Truth Provider

Any time you have a person exposed to the public for no good reason you are dealing with a privacy issue. You can save much exposure by backing in and getting patient loaded rather than parading them onto public streets where everyone can legally walk right up to the ambulance to see who is there and what is happening.

amberdt03

Forum Asst. Chief

have you been taking someone on a stretcher with a white sheet over their head and have someone walk by and gasp. priceless.

emtfarva

Forum Captain
i don't see why the medics just didn't request pd asap. I would have moved the car with my ambulance. I wouldn't have a job after that, but i would feel better that i did everything possible to save his life.

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
They probably did call for an LEO.

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

Great idea for those that live/work in urban areas but not so great for rural areas.

Some of our driveways around here are a 1/4 to 1/2 mile long...I'm not parking out in the street just so I can walk that far with a patient on a stretcher across sand and gravel.

Laziness may be a factor where you are, but it is by no means the same everywhere.

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
unless the ambulance parked in such a way that she couldnt pull into her driveway. which is totally possible. many people feel that because they drive an ambulance they own the road and do not have to adhere to any laws. which is incorrect.

True, but most areas specifically state emergency vehicles can park where ever they need to do do their job.

Unfortunately, unless we can see a photo of where both vehicles were parked in that driveway, all we can do is speculate.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Hmmmm. Engage 4 wheel.

Goodbye Mr Lawn, Sorry, Mr Cedar/Yew/Larch Tree!

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Goodbye Mr Lawn, Sorry, Mr Cedar/Yew/Larch Tree!

LOL...and some people say there is no place for fire in EMS. Trees in the way? No problem, let me get the chainsaw. Vehicle blocking you in? No problem, big ol' front bumper will take care of that. Violent/agitated bystanders? No worries...150 psi straight stream from a deck gun works wonders. :p

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Where I used to work I believe it was a Class A Misdemeanor to interfere with an ambulance/ambulance personnel or to fail to obey their instructions when you are interfering with a emergency scene.

Last edited by a moderator: