Ambulance Accidents

VentMedic

Forum Chief
This is a good article from www.JEMS.COM which stresses some good points that others on EMTLife have already been trying to stress.

http://www.jems.com/news_and_articles/columns/PWW/Ambulance_Accidents_When_Will_We_Wake_Up.html

Ambulance Accidents: When Will We Wake Up?
Steve Wirth
2007 Aug 31

The quotes are from the article.

We need to slow down. We need to stop at all controlled intersections. We need at all times to operate our vehicles with “due regard” for our own safety and the safety of others.

1. Put the right people behind the wheel in the first place;
2. Monitor driver behavior closely and truly take the steps necessary to change behavior when problems occur; and
3. If you can’t change bad driving behavior, then get that driver the hell out of the driver’s seat before someone gets killed.

Steve Wirth discusses 10 "food for thought" comments which are worth reading. This is number 10.

10. Think Before You Respond: The following message is posted at my fire station for us drivers to see as we pull out. I’m not sure where it came from, but it’s an excellent reminder of the awesome responsibility we each have as a driver/operator of an ambulance or fire apparatus:

If you get to the scene 30 seconds later -- safely -- no one will remember that you were late.
But if you try to get to the scene 30 seconds sooner and kill someone in the process, no one will ever forget it!

This is also important for those of you who transport "guest crews" and their equipment. Hospital healthcare professionals may not think about securing their equipment or their safety when they are inside your ambulance. They may also get excited at the thought of "running lights and sirens". You may need to guide them and their behavior. You're the expert on safety in your truck.

As Nadine Levick, MD, MPH, says in her always dynamic and thought-provoking presentations, being in the back of many modern ambulances may be like being in a “death vault.” Too many people are seriously hurt in the back of an ambulance from getting thrown around, striking sharp objects or getting hit by a flying piece of equipment.

http://www.jems.com/news_and_articles/columns/PWW/Ambulance_Accidents_When_Will_We_Wake_Up.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Good article Vent.. thanks for sharing, food for thought.

R/r 911

Gbro

Forum Lieutenant
My wife lost her job(RN) and had to retire from the service due to injurys.
The ambulance she was driving was hit in the L R and rolled.
I would sugest Stacking on your Auto insurance. we didn't have it.