Amateur Radio Suggestions

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I look around, and I see a bunch of Ham radio types on here

I'm considering upgrading/replacing my current radio (a Yaesu VX-7), as it is in need of repair (Internal speaker is non-functional). I also have a Kenwood TM-D700 in my car - so I'm not brand-sensitive.

I'm looking for a radio that is small, waterproof and sturdy, like the VX-7.

I'm not really into digital modes, like APRS, at least not yet. I hope to change that eventually.

The way I see it, I might keep my current VX-7 and get a rugged 2-meter HT as a primary - Any suggestions?

How about a replacement for the VX-7? VX-8? Something else?

Thanks for your advice.

Jon

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I have an old Radio Shack 420 440/2m that works great and it's been weather proof. You might be able to pick up a used one on ebay for cheap.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
You've got two great radios now. I'm a huge fan of the TM D-700a and my HT of choice was a VX-5r.

For a truly rugged portable, you'll want a commercial radio. I use a Motorola VHF MTS2000. (I have several Moto radios, but the MTS is an old standby)

Of course, you have to be a bit of a radio geek to jump on the commercial radio bandwagon... but once you do, you'll NEVER go back to a regular hammy radio.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I'd say for you to get another yaesu VX-7. You already know how to use it, you should have clone/programming software & cable for it, so you can make the two basically the same. Once your new one is up and running, send the old one out for repair and when it comes back, you'll have a primary and backup portable radio that works the way you expect. Personally, while I liked my VX-5, I really like my Kenwood TH-F6A as it's a decent 3 bander...

eynonqrs

Forum Lieutenant
I was looking into the yaseu dual band myself. I don't have any field programmable ones anymore. My HT is a Vertex and my mobile is a motorola spectra. Ebay does have alot of nice mobiles and ht's cheap. I also love the Yeasu Quad Band [10/6/2m and 70cm], easy to modify, but waiting for the price to come down, unless you have 600 quid to spend on it. Love chasing DX.