ALS before paramedic???

Nocturnatrix

Forum Probie
I am an emt-b and i was going to start a paramedic program at a local college where i took my basic but everyone in my dept said that i should wait until i refresh my emt-b cert before doing so which is in 3 years! I don't think i can wait that long!

I was thinking about taking an ALS class given by the county (since its free)i live in instead of going through my college before i go for paramedic....

i was wondering what you all think! any input would be greatly appreciated!

I have signed up to start classes jan 24th and im going nuts trying to figure out what to do!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I know here in NM, it's suggested to get about 6 months exp as a B, then take classes for I, then go to medic

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I am an emt-b and i was going to start a paramedic program at a local college where i took my basic but everyone in my dept said that i should wait until i refresh my emt-b cert before doing so which is in 3 years! I don't think i can wait that long!

I was thinking about taking an ALS class given by the county (since its free)i live in instead of going through my college before i go for paramedic....

i was wondering what you all think! any input would be greatly appreciated!

I have signed up to start classes jan 24th and im going nuts trying to figure out what to do!!!!

Did you mean ACLS (Advanced Cardiac Life Support)? ALS is paramedic.

Asclepius

Forum Lieutenant
There is usually a sound thought process if the people who are educating make recommendations about holding off on something. Listen carefully.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
I'd wait a year at least, but I don't think 3 is necessary.:censored: You need to wait a year because you will not have nearly the experience or exposure needed to fully understand what's going on prehospital.:censored: I didn't wait a year and I struggled after I got my patch.:censored: I have seen others not wait a year, and they struggled also.:censored: Believe me.:censored: You need to get your feet wet before you get your medic.

JPINFV

Gadfly
So, why exactly is it that medical school doesn't require their students to be PAs first nor does nursing school require their students to be LVNs or CNAs first? What exactly is EMS education doing wrong to require students to be at a level that, at best, can be described as an advanced first aid level with a minimal science background?

OP
OP
Nocturnatrix

Nocturnatrix

Forum Probie
Did you mean ACLS (Advanced Cardiac Life Support)? ALS is paramedic.

No als or AEMT .... in ny (this is what i have been told) there is no more EMT-I now its als then medic

Im not sure i have gotten so much misinformation

JPINFV

Gadfly
I think that what is confusing people is that ALS is generally used to mean "Advanced Life Support." There are two rather large problems with your posts.

1. Lack of grammar. There is a rather large difference between "No als or AEMT" (as you have posted in your last post) and "No, ALS or AEMT" (which is what I'm going to assume you meant). In your post, you basically said that there is no ALS in New York (which is technically true since no where else in healthcare do you find patient care split between ALS and BLS. Elsewhere, it is just simply called patient care). There is a difference between using grammar to the point that people can understand what you are writing without guessing what you mean and the type of grammar expected out of a college level paper.

2. Regional specific acronyms. I'll use an example from my home state, California. Technically speaking, I am an EMT-I. Now, given the fact that I am using a region specific designation, you would be wrong to assume that the "I" means "intermediate." The "I," again speaking from the perspective of California State Law, stands for the number 1 (roman numerals). This makes me an EMT-1, which is better known across the country as an EMT-Basic. There are plenty of acronyms that can have multiple meanings that differ between who is using it (PCR, for example, can mean "patient care report" or "polymerase chain reaction," neither is one is more correct than the other though).

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
So, why exactly is it that medical school doesn't require their students to be PAs first nor does nursing school require their students to be LVNs or CNAs first? What exactly is EMS education doing wrong to require students to be at a level that, at best, can be described as an advanced first aid level with a minimal science background?

Medical schools have found out over the centuries that one can be educated to a high standard without breaking down into multiple levels. Also that many would stop and never continue onward, if allowed to. Remember the difference is that they have the general education and upper level of scientific studies behind them as they continue onto medical school. Basically the making of a physician however; without the medical education.

P.A.'s were developed as physician assistants for overwhelmed physicians, they were never intended or design to replace the physician or a step to become one.

I find it ironic most medical schools do not honor or recognize courses in the P.A. program. Even those that it maybe the same course or correlate that medical students get credit for (I think that is unfair). So usually being a P.A. does not shorten the length of medical school, again a different profession and different responsibilities. As the P.A. is under the orders of the physician.

The same as nursing. Many programs will allow one to sit for the LPN examination after the first year of nursing school (most do not recommend) or may shorten the RN program if they are able to pass advanced standing tests and have clinical experience (the same as the bridge of Paramedic to RN). Again, different responsibilities and totally different license. As well, they too have to have basic education prior to admission. As well, the LPN is under the supervision of a RN.

Both have entry requirements of science prior to entry level as well as many others have procedures before allowing admission to the chosen profession. EMT does not have the basic science. The Basic level curriculum has been evaluated at the junior high science level, as well the length can be accomplished in two weeks to 16 weeks. In comparison at the technical education level, equivalent to CMA, etc. and the Paramedic usually 10 months long has been compared to the LPN level. Of course, there is different curriculum's and demands from different program requirements all dependent on the institution requirements.

Those that enter medical school or RN usually have a specific goal. They usually have no desire to use their profession as a stepping stone going onto to another profession. It is all or nothing. Their profession stands alone and strong enough without fragmenting and developing substitute levels. Yes, there is CNA, CMA, etc.. again, these were to assist nurses, never replace or place in lieu. Those professions realize there should not be any substitute, rather an adjunct or assisting the licensed professional.

I have never quite understood the reason there is so many reasons or excuses of not obtaining the main course in EMS. EMS courses are much more reasonable in course and usually faster and less time consuming in comparison to any other medical professional.

Why, one would not get a loan for school (like all other professions) but will purchase light bars, sirens, radios, and other whacker devices. Usually it is the priority that is the difference.

Consider this, if there were no multiple levels only one, look at how many patients would receive ALS care instead of BLS. The community and public would have EMS care, they would see that it would occur somehow.

R/r 911

Nocturnal Medic Student

Forum Ride Along
No als or AEMT .... in ny (this is what i have been told) there is no more EMT-I now its als then medic

You should find the information out yourself instead of relying on information from co-workers! Look on the web or talk to someone who actualy knows what they are talking about!

In Suffolk county which i am presuming you reside in since you stated about the nurse incident at Brookhaven hospital have 4 levels of certification...

Certified First Responder, EMT-Basic, EMT-Critical Care, And EMT-Paramedic
Heres a link that explains it all and they also have classes posted!
http://www.suffolkremsco.com/index.php?submenu=TrainingCourses&src=gendocs&link=Training&category=Main

And i agree with everyone here about waiting and getting your feet wet before you start taking more advanced classes!

firecoins

IFT Puppet

I am pretty sure the lack of EMT I is just a Long Island thing. Phelps Hospital offers an EMT-I program which mysteriously is listed under the EMT-B class. http://www.phelpshealth.org/ Maybe there is something new but that seems weird, getting rid of the EMT-I class. http://www.wremsco.org/HVREMSCO_info.htm#credentials

ALS is paramedic. Are you sure it isn't ACLS that your talking about?

byun01

Forum Probie
How long you should wait depends on you

I was an EMT-B in high school, became a paramedic in college, and now I am in medical school. When you should go from one step to the next really depends on you. That being said, you should make a fair assessment of yourself, by first working as an EMT-B before making the necessary move to a higher education. Remember, most medical students have very little or no clinical experience. Still, many with little INITIAL clinical experience will be great doctors in the future. If you work/volunteer in a busy setting as an EMT-B it can help you decide what you want. If you have no prior experience and you decide to work as an EMT-B while in medic school, this can be both beneficial and dangerous. While you are gaining experience, you end up deciding you do not want to be a paramedic.