ALS as an EMT-B?

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
As I've said elsewhere in the thread, I've taken a lot of science classes, including the prerequisites for most medic schools. Anatomy, microbiology, human prosection, multiple chemistry and biology electives, psych, etc. I was toying with the idea of medical school at one point, so those bases are pretty well covered.
I would say that you should take coursework that will allow you to enter RN school. It's not that I want you to be an RN (only you can decide that), it's that their prerequisite coursework is a good foundation for just about any healthcare career you enter. The "merit badge" courses are nice, but they won't change your scope of practice. Only a higher level cert/license can do that.

If possible, take a pathophysiology course and/or pharmacology course. You'll get a much better insight as to why we do some of the things we do as Paramedics.

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
As I've said elsewhere in the thread, I've taken a lot of science classes, including the prerequisites for most medic schools. Anatomy, microbiology, human prosection, multiple chemistry and biology electives, psych, etc. I was toying with the idea of medical school at one point, so those bases are pretty well covered.

Since you are not really looking for advice but more obviously looking for someone to validate you and/or tell you to take the classes:

"Go ahead, take the classes"

They'll just end up being cards in your wallet that you can't use but need to recert every couple years. You will likely be paying for them again one way or the other when you attend medic school.

But you really should get out there and find a way to use the knowledge you already have.

Last edited by a moderator: