Airway protection for allergic reaction

Gents82

Forum Probie
Book doesn't mention if you should use an oro or naso to help keep the airway open during an allergic reaction. I wouldn't use an oro incase the throat over inflames. Is naso the safest bet here?

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
Guardian said:
no gag = OPA, + gag = NPA

Note, + is short for positive, and - is short for negative. Ex, pt has + Shortness of breath but - Chest Pain

Last edited by a moderator:

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
OPA isn't going to keep it open, only Endotracheal Intubation will do that, therefore, call ALS PDQ

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
There isn't much BLS can do beyond:
Conscious + Gag = NPA
Unonscious = OPA

You really need some drugs on board to treat the allergic reaction. I'm not sure you have pre-dosed Epi in your BLS protocols. Prevent shock by elevating the feet and covering with a blanket.

Getting back to the question at hand, you'd treat this patient the same as any other patient and attempt to ventilate with supplemental O2.

EMR06

Forum Probie
Is the pt concious?does the pt have a gag reflex? oro/naso depending on circumstances. If the pt is having a anap/shock I would suggest an epi pen for quick rapid results. Keep in mind the epi pen isnt a cure for anaphylaxis, it only buys time so you can get the pt to the hospital immediately before total constriction of the bronchs occur. In terms of pt care, I would ventilate 100% non rebreath, assist with an epi pen and put the pt in the shock position. Keep in mind if the person is having a severe attack that it may just be that the pt goes into respiratory arrest following cardiac arrest. Keep a bvm and aed available. Always think ahead. Always consider ALS as well.

I hope that helps

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Guardian said:
OPA isn't going to keep it open, only Endotracheal Intubation will do that, therefore, call ALS PDQ
Yep...The purpose of an oral or nasal airway is to keep the upper airway open (Around tounge)... not anything behind the pharynx.

Epi and Benadryl are in order for an anaphalactic reaction.

RALS504

Forum Lieutenant
EMR06 said:
Keep in mind if the person is having a severe attack that it may just be that the pt goes into respiratory arrest following cardiac arrest.
Good post but there seems to always be some confusion on the issue of how respiratory arrest affects cardiac arrest and vise versa. Respiratory arrest can preceed cardiac arrest (especially in pediactric pts),but with cardiac arrest the pt is automatically considered to be in respiratory arrest because blood is not being delivered to the diaphram and lungs.
so:
respiratory arrest = respiratory arrest
cardiac arrest = cardiac and respiratory arrest

bowhkr

Forum Probie
Bic Pen, Knife, whiskey, duct tape... Oh yea..

McGuyver EMS

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
bowhkr said:

McGuyver EMS

ROFLMFAO!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
bowhkr said:

McGuyver EMS
Too True!!

HFD EMS

Forum Probie
bowhkr said:

McGuyver EMS

THIS MUST GO IN THE TOP TEN LIST OF THE BEST POSTS!!!!!!B)

emtd29

Forum Lieutenant
Everything I know in life I learned from MacGyver and Hawkeye Pierce

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
emtd29 said:
Hawkeye Pierce

He's the man! :D But wasn't it Honeycut who made the first defibrillator?

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
I can't believe that episode where they tried to give honeycut the credit for inventing defib. I know it's just a comedy tv show and not to be taken seriously, but I'm weird like that. If you had to single someone out, I think the real "inventor" was Bernard Lown. It had been a theory for a while but he actually proved that it could be done.

disassociative

Forum Captain
Guardian said:
I can't believe that episode where they tried to give honeycut the credit for inventing defib. I know it's just a comedy tv show and not to be taken seriously, but I'm weird like that. If you had to single someone out, I think the real "inventor" was Bernard Lown. It had been a theory for a while but he actually proved that it could be done.

+99 in my book Guardian; you seem to know your stuff; as well as
who invented it. Were I to be in a situation needing critical care;
I would hope the medic working on me would know his/her stuff
as well as you seem too.

You are the bees knees. B)

HFD EMS

Forum Probie
disassociative said:
+99 in my book Guardian; you seem to know your stuff; as well as
who invented it. Were I to be in a situation needing critical care;
I would hope the medic working on me would know his/her stuff
as well as you seem too.

You are the bees knees. B)

Definitely would have to Agree with that statement!B)

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Actually the first defibrillator was invented in 1932 by Dr William Bennett Kouwenhoven.

R/r 911

disassociative

Forum Captain
Bernard Lown - The first man to discover that DC electricity is most effective for treating VFIB, VTACH, etc.