Air Medical Crews

AirMed44

Forum Probie
So as a completely unscientific sampling, I was wondering what is the general consensus / opinion you have of helicopter flight crews. Do you think they are the best of the best with aspirations of being one? Overused resource that wears too tight of flight suits? A bunch of prima donnas? Or somewhere in the middle? Just curious. Look forward to your responses!

IvanD

Forum Crew Member
As just a regular non EMS employed college student going down the pre-med track. I've always had mad respect for paramedics, in my mind flight paramedics have reached the apex of prehospital medicine.

I was on a ridealong shift last week with a flight paramedic who worked some ground shifts and another paramedic, they were the nicest most unassuming, no egotistical bullsh*t people. And that was truly inspiring and very refreshing to know that successful people who are really good with their jobs are just regular and superbly nice people.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I don't think the overuse of air medical assets is a reflection of the crew. (even when the flight suits are too tight :) )

All of the flight medics, nurses, and physicians I know are extremely dedicated, capable, and hard working people.

As with any group, I am sure there are the occasional providers that are a discredit for one reason or another, but I think they are the minority.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
The flight system that I have regular contact with has some of the most professional, dedicated, and intelligent medics and nurses I've ever had the pleasure to work with.

That said, I do think they are considerably overused. Personally, it's a very rare occasion that I'll call upon their services. In a busy urban 911 system and a moderately busy suburban/rural 911 system, I've called them twice in 3yrs, and cancelled one of those. I understand that they absolutely have their place and use, but it is not near as needed as it's (ab)used.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
I've noticed near hero worship of flight medics among my peers. My experience with flight medics is very limited but I will say that all of the ones I've interacted with seem very competent. When I did my clinicals at a level one trauma center in Houston on two occasions they called in a flight medic to start a jugular IV. I thought this was kind of odd as there were a million people there who seemed more qualified but after multiple attempts at getting an IV started they sent someone to the EMS break room to get the guy. The EMT and Paramedic students would all gather around like they were watching fireworks. I also saw a flight medic called in at a lower level care facility once to start an IV as well and the ER doc seemed to differ to him.

I've also noticed that flight medics seem to be pretty easy to talk to and always seem willing to help. I assume this is because flight medics have to be very compatible with their crews and have to have excellent crew resource management skills.

Anjel

Forum Angel
We have a very awesome flight service. They have to be a critical care nurse and paramedic. With over 5 years experience in multiple areas before working.

They are the most professional, and smart group of people I work with from time to time.

We are a mostly urban setting so they are used to go from hospital to hospital.

Everyone around here has the hero worship thing going on toward them.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
We transfer quite a few fixed wing crews and their patients to and from the airport and I've yet to meet a crew that was cocky. Most all are extremely friendly and always are willing to talk to be about the pt, especially when I'm wearing my snazzy white paramedic student shirt!

As far as rotor wing we only really interact with one service which is under the same umbrella as the ground company I work for and many of them work on the streets so we all get along pretty well.

Every now and again we run into other rotor wing crews in passing at the Trauma Center and they've all been nice enough.

As for usage I've never actually had a patient worth flying, well that's a lie I've had plenty in the last two weeks but we were close enough that we scooped and ran code to the ER. It's amazing how much you can get done with a student and a preceptor in the back while moving to the ER. Especially with a student/preceptor combo that has good chemistry and communication as well as trust.