AFIB with RVR and wide complex??

Alan L Serve

Forum Captain
Just to stir the pot a little more on using adenosine diagnostically, Heart & Stroke Foundation in the Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) manual (2011 edition) on p.130 it state under Indications:

"May be helpful in disgtinguishing atrial flutter from SVT"

The Heart & Stroke also say in their Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) manual (2016 edition) for Wide Complex Tachycardias:

"If the rhythm etiology cannot be determined and is regular in its rate and monomorphic recent evidence suggests that IV adenosine is relatively safe for both treatment and diagnosis" p.145

**also, I'm still looking for clarification on whether this is considered a narrow or wide QRS complex. (Sorry for the newb question - I'm a new EMT and having a bit of difficulty determining where we consider the isostatic baseline to be with the rhythm the OP posted) - that is, if what I'm seeing is a delta-wave or T-wave.
The rhythm posted surely was not regular. It had very clear Afib as demonstrated by the goofy-looking p-waves but also a polymorphic characteristic of the narrow QRS complexes.

Those who advocate for using Adenosine when it's so clearly absolutely contraindicated....gulp.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
IMG_6191.PNG

Pretty clearly afib.

BassoonEMT

Forum Crew Member
Two year old threads are the BEST threads!

I always took "adenosine as a diagnostic tool" to be more of a well known backup plan.

By that I mean "well this looks like SVT, lets give the adenosine". Heart slows, revealing a rhythm with no p waves, and more irregular than originally seen, and then tachs up again. The adenosine wasn't the resolving treatment, but you've now used it to diagnose that the rhythm is a-fib, and can treat accordingly.
But maybe that's just me.

But yes this was definitely a-fib from the start.