AEMT vs EMT-I

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Not sure. I was affiliated with Metro West Ambulance in a suburb of Portland and I was a volunteer with TVFR for 4 weeks. I worked inside metro portland for 6 years, but only doing event stand by with another agency, so I am not 100% sure.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
. You respond on every EMS call in the engine and do patient care for 1-5 minutes before the ambulance arrives or cancel yourself because the ambulance is already on scene.TVFR and Portland Fire are 2 good examples.

Yeah, but then you have to fight fires (maybe...on ~20% of calls)...doesn't really appeal to me ;)

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Ya i found out the same after about 4 weeks.

LanceCorpsman

Forum Lieutenant
Gotcha -- and most are BLS or limited ALS (AEMT)?

The majority of agencies have EMT-Is, very few AEMTs. So there is a good chance you get what we call "Intermediate Life Support"

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
The majority of agencies have EMT-Is, very few AEMTs. So there is a good chance you get what we call "Intermediate Life Support"

Gotcha - thanks. Sounds like your EMT-Is are performing ACLS-type cardiac care (minus cardioversion and transcutaneous pacing), correct? I only know what I've seen from the state regs.

LanceCorpsman

Forum Lieutenant
Gotcha - thanks. Sounds like your EMT-Is are performing ACLS-type cardiac care (minus cardioversion and transcutaneous pacing), correct? I only know what I've seen from the state regs.

Correct, basically ACLS minus a few drugs like adenosine or mag.