Advice Sought for becoming a Paramedic in Canada

questing answers

Forum Ride Along
Hello!

I am just starting to look into becoming an EMR (and then a PCP, an ACP, and a CCP), but was told by a friend in nursing that the nursing programs in BC are incredibly outdated compared to where she had received her certification (in Saskatchewan). She was sure that it was the same sort of deal for the certification process as a paramedic. I was wondering if anyone could offer any insight on whether or not some provinces provide better training than others, and the shortcomings of being employed as a paramedic in different provinces.

In short, I want to become a paramedic but I'm not sure where I should start (other than getting educated). Any advice would be amazing.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Most of Canada follows the NOCP scope of practice and most provinces require schools to be cma accredited . Some provinces like Alberta have heir own similar scope and accreditation process.

Definitely look into cma accredited programs. Most are 1 year in length. Ontario offers 2 year pcp. I have worked with a number of them and for the most part they are very knowledgable and know their stuff.

Where do you want to end up working? I would suggest getting your training in the province you want to work in. There are a few of is here from Canada so I am sure we can help out if you have any other questions.
I may be off but I believe the pcp program in bc is a bit shorter but doesn't cover things like IVs and some drugs. My info is a bit dates though so it may not be true.

cprted

Forum Captain
Nursing training and paramedic training have really nothing to do with each other. I'm not sure what your friend is on about because I have never seen or heard anyone imply that RN training in BC is lacking or substandard compared to other provinces.

BC does have the shortest PCP program in the country (6 weeks online-4 months in class-4ish months practicum), but it is fully accredited and includes IVs, drug therapy, etc. The BLS ECG instruction is lacking but that is mostly due to the fact that PCPs in BC don't preform cardiac monitoring. You basically get a day on rhythm interpretation and you'll never hear about it again ...

Get your training where you want to work. Just makes things easier.