Advice on work environment, ER VS EMS

Fbarba123

Forum Lieutenant
A little of what's going on.

I currently work at a BLS IFT co., and have been for a bit over a year. I've applied with two other ALS companies, which are set to hire in the coming months.

I recently started volunteering in the local ER, and they have agreed to hire me if I were to get my CNA cert. (they require it to work in the ER).

I can't make up my mind if I should stick to what I had planned, Work as an emt, with a commute, marginal pay and move on to Paramedic, Or take the cna class and the position at the Hospital with the better pay, commute, benefits, and hours?

If anyone out there has some advice, or input, it would greatly be appreciated...

-Felix

OP
OP
F

Fbarba123

Forum Lieutenant
I really enjoy the ER environment, but I feel that when i start working there my entire view will change. Fast paced- and usually always keeping myself busy with something.

decisions decisions.... :wacko:

firecoins

IFT Puppet
ER is better to be honest. No carrying pts down stairs or unsafe scenes. Its true your busy the entire shift but you will learn more and see more. Looks good for RN school or Medic school.

Can you not do both? Work one full time and one part time/Per diem.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I worked for almost a year as a hospital/ED tech. I wouldn't trade it for anything. I learned a hell of a lot both on the floor and in the ED

OP
OP
F

Fbarba123

Forum Lieutenant
Looking at starting my cna class soon.

Love the er!

Madmedic780

Forum Crew Member
Work in ER, volly for 911 service? I think I would miss the field.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
ER is better to be honest. No carrying pts down stairs or unsafe scenes. Its true your busy the entire shift but you will learn more and see more. Looks good for RN school or Medic school.

Can you not do both? Work one full time and one part time/Per diem.

So none of the stuff that makes EMS great? I guess it depends on where you work. Around here, 911 EMS means you rarley get a chance to sit down, especially on MIC trucks. Our medics are one of the highest call volume MICs in NJ. and BLS is the same. Township provided BLS around here regularly handle 12-15 calls in a 12hr shift. So ER is busy, because EMS is so busy, on top of walkins

I like the field, i like being outside. Even when it was like 20 degrees and we had 30 inches of snow back in december, i loved it. i remeber laying on my back in snow thats over my knees, crawling into a roll-over, and i thought to myself, "Self, i wouldnt trade this for pretty much anything"

If thats your attitude, then stay in the field. Both have great positives, they are just different.

8jimi8

CFRN
do both

Number1Monkey

Forum Ride Along
Totally a matter of personal taste. But if you want to be a medic, you gotta have the 911 experience. I personally enjoy being out n about at work, so I never went the ER route as an EMT. You will learn different things in both environments. My 2 cents... get off IFT! You didn't take an EMT class to be a cab driver... * had to edit this to add... a few years ago I worked IFT only and was very discouraged with my career choice. It felt no different than when I worked in an arcade for min. wage. I quit, struggled for a while, switched to a company that runs calls in a busy area and It was a totally different story. Alot of people I know are in the same boat, "Do I stay pre-hospital, or get into nursing or PA school?" It's a toughie...

Last edited by a moderator: