Advanced EMT for educational purposes?

swampwolf

Forum Probie
Hi everyone~

I'm an EMT in CT, where the state has recently come to the decision that Advanced and Intermediate EMT certs will no longer be recognized-- only Basic and Paramedic levels.
That said, an Advanced course will be running in a few weeks, and despite this new certification development, I was thinking of taking it for my own educational purposes. What do you guys think? I was maybe hoping to go to medic school one day in the future, but I want to be rock solid first.
Does anyone have an opinion about taking the Advanced, regardless of the state's decision to eliminate the AEMT?

Thank you in advance!

smokeater

Forum Crew Member
That's pretty interesting. I was under the impression that most states we're phasing out inttermidiate to more closely resemble the restructuring Bioengineering done by
nremt. This is the case in Alabama where I practice. As a matter of fact, you must obtain advanced before progressing to paramedic and practice as an advanced while studying for medic. I may be missinformed. The later statement may reflect school policy. What I am certain of is the state no longer recognizing inttermediate and requiring those who hld the level to transition to aemt or medic. As for your situation...f you have the time and resources to persue aemt then I can in no way reason any objections to doing so. No negatives...only positives. Besides...knowledge s power my friend....good luck no matter your decision.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
If you are willing to sit through an advanced course why not put in the time to get your medic? I am all for furthering education. But why not put it toward something you can actually use.In my opinion AEMT should be the intro ems level.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Where are you getting this information from? I am an Advanced EMT in CT and haven't heard a word about this.