ADHD, Dexadrine, Bruxism?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deltachange

Forum Crew Member
Some History: I am a healthy nineteen year old adult male. I was diagnosed with ADHD and chronic depression when I was thirteen. Welbutrin was used to treat both, however it was discontinued four years ago when I had my depression under control. Recently with potential jobs with Fire departments and ambulances, I wanted my ADHD under control completely and got meds.

Story: I was prescribed Dexadrine Generic: Dextramphetamine. Fifteen mgs once daily. The medication was like the difference between night and day. It was amazing but I noticed that I was clenching my jaw unconsciously and called the doctor, who said to discontinue without explanation.

So my question is, did I figure out what happened to me since jawclenching/Bruxism isn't listed anywhere for side effects?

I think it was Bruxism secondary to Serotonergic Re-uptake Inhibition.

I came to that conclusion after several hours of research on dopamine, serotonin, and norepinepherine. Basically as I understand it the stimulants cause norepinepherine to be released to the brain where it triggers the flight or fight response and increases dopamine levels in the part of the brain responsible for focus. However the increase in the dopamine and norepinepherine levels cause serotonin to not be processed as well/as quickly.

Serotonin is used in the chewing process to activate neurons. So my theory is that the serotonin increase due to not being processed caused the neurons to be in a permanent state of activation, and caused my jaw clenching.

If you have any questions feel free to ask because this is my personal case, and I am going back to the psychiatrist today to try new medication.

Thank you for your time.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
You might not want to ask for medical advice on here. It's a violation of the agreement we all enter into when we join EMTLife.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
No medical advise is given here, sorry.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Dr. Sasha's Advice: Talk To A Real Doctor.

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
Involuntary motor and phonic tics, as well as muscle twitches/contraction, are exacerbated by stimulants.

This is a known side effect...

I concur w/ Sasha though. Its your life so when the doctor doesn't followup you must.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Thread closed per our rules
No Medical Advice
To ensure the safety of everyone, EMTLife participants are not allowed to provide or seek medical advice via the forum, private message, or via EMTLife's email feature. Information contained on or made available through EMTLife is not intended to and does not constitute medical advice or recommendations of any kind. Participants seeking medical advice or treatment should contact their physician or local emergency services.

Status
Not open for further replies.