A Poll: When You're Off-Duty

spnjsquad

Forum Crew Member
No FA kit, small sticker on the back of our car with the squad logo, good samaritan laws, and never had the chance.

EMDispatch

IAED EMD-Q/EMT
I carry a personal first aid kit, a seat belt cutter/window punch, a roadside assistance kit, and a traffic vest.

My car has a plate from my volunteer department on the front, we don't run any POV lights here, it's your only distinguishing item.

Off duty is would be good Sam laws as long as I act at a non-EMT level, but If my volly department is alerted now I'm on duty.

My area has some very remote regions, known for some nasty accidents and bad cell reception. If I stumble across one I'll stop to make sure help is on the way, or drive down the road and get signal to put in a call. I'll also help people with disabled vehicles out there, because it's the neighborly thing to do.
If it's in my volly departments first due, which is more urban, I'm more use heading to the station to grab a truck than stop POV.

Mainspring

Forum Crew Member
no identifier on my car or person.

only first aid kit that came with the car.

best tool to have for still alarms while off duty, cell phone.

jzero652

Forum Probie
Do you carry personal jump kits, first aid kits (advanced, standard, etc), oxygen, or any first aid supplies in your personal vehicles when you are out and about as just a citizen? This would be equipment purchased by yourself, not on loan or owned by your employer.

The Fire Department I am with gives us a fully stocked BLS bag

Do you indicate on your vehicle in any way "First Aid on-board, EMT, Paramedic," or anything of the sort in any place on your vehicle? Possibly as a sticker, taped piece of paper, or placard.

I have our EMS company's logo and a EMT sticker on the back of my jeep

In your local city, county, province/state, country, are you protected if you render aid as an off-duty EMT/private citizen?

In our district I am covered by the Dept. out of it Good sams

Have you ever stopped and helped someone with just your own personal equipment, and if so, did you ever hesitate that the LEO would not recognize you? What was the reaction?

Yes in district. I just identify myself as an EMT with our dept.

Yes in district. I just identify myself as an EMT with our dept.

So if I am in district I will stop assess situation call dispatch to get a bus rolling and do whatever I have to do.
Out of district, stop assess situation call 911 maintain ABC's. when help arrives give a report and turn it over to them, get back into my jeep and ride into the sunset knowing that I did the right thing.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Do you guys remember that guy who posted on here last year that he owned his own personal defibrillator and would jump calls?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Do you guys remember that guy who posted on here last year that he owned his own personal defibrillator and would jump calls?

Yep. :beerchug:

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
What does "jump" calls mean?

He would listen to a scanner and if e was close to where the call was would go to it. He didn't work for an ems agency.

The term can also mean : if you hear a crew dispatched to a call and you are closer or a more appropriate unit you can "jump" or take the call so the other truck doesn't have to .

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
He would listen to a scanner and if e was close to where the call was would go to it. He didn't work for an ems agency.

The term can also mean : if you hear a crew dispatched to a call and you are closer or a more appropriate unit you can "jump" or take the call so the other truck doesn't have to .

Or if you want the call and believe you can beat them in to the scene...

PrincessAnika

Forum Crew Member
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if you all would be so kind as to answer a few questions as to when you're off duty.

Do you carry personal jump kits, first aid kits (advanced, standard, etc), oxygen, or any first aid supplies in your personal vehicles when you are out and about as just a citizen? This would be equipment purchased by yourself, not on loan or owned by your employer.

Do you indicate on your vehicle in any way "First Aid on-board, EMT, Paramedic," or anything of the sort in any place on your vehicle? Possibly as a sticker, taped piece of paper, or placard.

In your local city, county, province/state, country, are you protected if you render aid as an off-duty EMT/private citizen?

Have you ever stopped and helped someone with just your own personal equipment, and if so, did you ever hesitate that the LEO would not recognize you? What was the reaction?

Thanks everyone! Here's to great discussion! :)

I have a stocked bls/first in bag - basic first aid stuff, bp cuff, face mask for CPR, no o2 (need a script for that)
no
to an extent yes, however, and this is why I don't label my car - in my state, if people know you are an emt and you do not offer assistance you can loose your certs, if you drive past an mva in a vehicle with any sort of identifying sticker without stopping and there is no emergency vehicle on scene, the DOH won't be very happy if they find out about it. however, to my knowledge, you are also on your own if you do render care, bc technically you are acting without medical direction.
yes, LEO rarely shows unless requested for medical, mva I only stop if a) no emergency crew of any sort on scene b) appears to be pts in vehicle (if all out walking around no I do not) c) I witness the incident and it is safe for me to do so.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
no
not really... old car had an agency stick on the back window, but I don't have anything on the new car.
maybe under the good samaritan act, but not by my agency.
yes I have stopped. LEO shows up, says "every one back up, nothing to see here," show him my ID ask him if he wants me to stay or go, he says stay until AHJ shows up, once they show up, I give a quick report and continue on my way.

JPINFV

Gadfly

Quick... someone post the Zombie Hunter bag link.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I have a stocked bls/first in bag - basic first aid stuff, bp cuff, face mask for CPR, no o2 (need a script for that)
no
to an extent yes, however, and this is why I don't label my car - in my state, if people know you are an emt and you do not offer assistance you can loose your certs, if you drive past an mva in a vehicle with any sort of identifying sticker without stopping and there is no emergency vehicle on scene, the DOH won't be very happy if they find out about it. however, to my knowledge, you are also on your own if you do render care, bc technically you are acting without medical direction.
yes, LEO rarely shows unless requested for medical, mva I only stop if a) no emergency crew of any sort on scene b) appears to be pts in vehicle (if all out walking around no I do not) c) I witness the incident and it is safe for me to do so.

And how can they prove you were in the car?

Av8or007

Forum Lieutenant
Quick... someone post the Zombie Hunter bag link.

Here you go :)

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=33826

-------------------------------------
Disclaimer: anything i say below DOES NOT endorse this guy's medical bag at all, so no flaming :)

Anyways,
What i really find funny about that bag is that the guy has enough narcs to treat pain 30 years into the future but doesn't have any basic parentral meds - where is the gravol, benadryl, epi (in amps), d50, zofran, toradol, methylprednisolone .etc

Also where's the atrovent and prednisone?

Not saying that's a good idea, but you'd think that those meds would be there given that he has access to an apparently blank rx pad...

Did anyone notice the concentration of the morphine?

15 mg/ml!

Not to mention all the po narcs and stadol spray - yet only an amp or two of naloxone...

Wow.

UnkiEMT

Forum Truck Monkey
Premium Member
I'm mostly just impressed at his packing job, he appears to have most of an ALS ambulance in about 80L

EMDispatch

IAED EMD-Q/EMT
I always love playing the "lifeboat game" with these types of people to see their responses.

They don't deal well with critical concepts like triage.They want to prepare to maintain their situation not adapt to a harsh and unfortunate reality of disaster aftermath.