A new Medic.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I think it is neat she is doing it because she wants to. Although, you note she is not giving up her day job... so yes, money does not mean all that much to her.. in some ways.

Maybe, we should e-mail her and welcome her to the site and profession.

R/r 911

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I remember what a big deal it was 25 years ago when Bobby Sherman (former teen idol) became an EMT. And, he still is one as well as being a LEO with San Bernadino PD and LAPD.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
That is cool... wouldn't it be nice to NOT need money? ;)

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Amazing!!! maybe I should take up the cello and then go to medic school..... :)

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I think it is neat she is doing it because she wants to. Although, you note she is not giving up her day job... so yes, money does not mean all that much to her.. in some ways.

Maybe, we should e-mail her and welcome her to the site and profession.

R/r 911

Actually she retired from the high paying orchestra job. We aren't told how much she will make from the Chamber music groups if anything. People rarely get into playing classical music for the money. It is usually a career of love to begin with.

Last edited by a moderator:

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Amazing!!! maybe I should take up the cello and then go to medic school..... :)

yep.. let's all take up Cello for the money, then we can do EMS just for fun!

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Actually she retired from the high paying orchestra job. We aren't told how much she will make from the Chamber music groups if anything. People rarely get into playing classical music for the money. It is usually a career of love to begin with.

The article I read, stated that she was going to continue playing and work part time as a medic. As well, that she would have to take a significant income loss, from a 6+ figure income to a medic..
R/r 911

firecoins

IFT Puppet
The article I read, stated that she was going to continue playing and work part time as a medic. As well, that she would have to take a significant income loss, from a 6+ figure income to a medic..
R/r 911

From the article linked to in the first post:
But they're the main themes in the life of Nancy Donaruma, who is retiring from the New York Philharmonic to take on another job she loves — as a full-time paramedic.

She'll play her last official concert with America's oldest orchestra Sept. 14 under conductor John Williams.

The New York Philharmonic pays her the 6 figure income. At least, that is my understanding of the article. Her going from the 6 figure income job at the philharmonic to becoming a low 5 figure income as a medic.

I couldn't help noticing that she is 59, divorced and lives in Poukeepsie. Poughkeesie is 2 hours north of NYC where the New York Philharmonic is located. Her medic program was SUNY Ulster also well north of NYC and her new medic employer is also in the upper Hudson Valley region. I think she got tired of the commute down to NYC. Just a guess.

Last edited by a moderator: