A little different kind of a question

EDAC

Forum Crew Member
If you could take a foreign language to further your understanding of medicine, what would it be. My reason for asking is, I am currently taking a latin language course, and have seen how so many medical terms have a derivitive from latin. I would assume an understanding of this language would give an advantage to those pursuing medicine, agree or disagree? I also believe greek would be helpful as well.
If you had your choice, what language/languages would you like to take to further your understanding of medical terminology.
I understand that some would argue that spanish would be beneficial for Pt contacts, but this is purely for a better understanding of terminology and the root meanings of medical terminology.

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
I just learn the terms and what they mean.... and along the way you learn the parts that make up the medical terms and can associate.

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
don't take a full foreign language class just to learn medical terms. If you are interested in the language, by all means go for it. If you just want to learn the medical roots there are books and courses that will teach you just that. I took a course using the Language Of Medicine book by chabner. Not that i condone taking the foreign language class, i just think you would quickly lose interest if your sole purpose was learning medical terms. good luck with whatever you choose

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
A good medical terminology (collegiate level or equivalent) will be better than foreign language if that is your intent.

R/r 911

OP
OP
E

EDAC

Forum Crew Member
The foreign language is an elective I am taking, I am just about finished with A&P and Med Terminology. I am not suggesting taking the foriegn language to learn terminology, I am asking if you had the choice what would you take to further enhance your understanding of the derivatives of the terminology. I ahve always felt that an understanding of the root or derivatives of any word is an excellent way to get a feel as to why the word is & what it is, if that makes any sense.

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
The foreign language is an elective I am taking, I am just about finished with A&P and Med Terminology. I am not suggesting taking the foriegn language to learn terminology, I am asking if you had the choice what would you take to further enhance your understanding of the derivatives of the terminology. I ahve always felt that an understanding of the root or derivatives of any word is an excellent way to get a feel as to why the word is & what it is, if that makes any sense.

to answer your question directly then latin. though i think a langauge your patients might actually speak such as spanish would be most beneficial. I am aware you stated you did not want that bit of advice in your original post. It sounds like you want to take latin(which i actaully think would be a cool course to take)

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
If you're taking it just to take it, Latin might be interesting, but like others suggest, I'd figure that you'd be better off taking Spanish, French, Russian, or some other language that your patients will most likely speak (area dependent, of course).

thegreypilgrim

Forum Asst. Chief
I'd like to learn a foreign language (Spanish or some Southeast Asian language would probably be most practical for my area) to make my job easier, but not for any purely medical reason I can see.

If you want to understand medical terminology more thoroughly then take a college Med. Term. course.

wyoskibum

Forum Captain
I would stick with the Latin. Not only will it help with the Medical Terminology, it will help you to learn other Romance languages like spanish, italian, etc..