A few questions for someone interested

PMorm

Forum Ride Along
I'm currently finishing a degree in engineering and plan on working for a year before continuing onto a masters in biomedical engineering. I thought of the idea of taking EMT night classes during this time at my local CC and obtaining the training required to become a volunteer. I've always wanted to have some basic medical training, plus I've always had a longing for volunteering my time to help people in a positive way and I figure this would be perfect. I do not plan on making this a career goal or using this for med school or anything, just something I could do limited part time as a volunteer.

For someone that would eventually be working a full-time job, is this something I could do maybe a couple of nights a week or over the weekend? What are the minimum hours? Normal hours? Also, what is the usual age range for this kind of thing? I'll be in my 30's (though in good shape). Any other insights would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the ignorance and thanks for the replies!

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Required number of volunteer hours is going to be highly variable and dependent on where you live and the departments in your area. It should be very doable, though. A friend of mine is an attorney M-F and volunteers on the weekend.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
This is absolutely doable and even common. Most of the people in my EMT-Basic class worked full time jobs or were students.

You'll find that you'll likely meet for three or so hours twice a week with some weekends for a semester.

I ended up taking the EMT-Basic class for six weeks over summer. It had a lot of fun and worked random EMT shifts while working on my undergrad degree.

Check community college and EMS programs in your area, they're accommodating to busy schedules.

Good luck!

ectopicthoughts

Forum Ride Along
If you are not planning a career in EMS, you could look into EMR- emergency medical responder, CERT, NERT training.
CERT- community emergency response team. NERT- neighborhood emergency response team.
The classes are shorter and there are not as mnay requirements or clinical hours.