8 week vs 16 week course?

medic417

The Truth Provider
If you do not want to read and study to not come to my classes. I will not spoon feed you. If you do not read and study you will not pass as I will not tell you everything because you should have already studied it. Now ask a question about what was read and I will help you understand it. So any quality program will be a reading program as well as a hands on.

OP
OP
J

Jay506

Forum Crew Member
Guys thanks A LOT! Really awesome, informed opinions here...It's greatly appreciated.

mcdonl

Forum Captain
I am in a Basic class, (Nearing the end!!) but I would say it is more of a Basic+... the class is 220 or so hours and had a lot of "extras" included such as vehicle extrication's, FF recovery operations, Ice/Water rescue operations (All of the afore mentioned were the EMS functions....) we also did a class on how to help the ALS providing but setting up IV bags, 4 leads, etc... stuff like that.

Also, we have done a lot of practicals. Pretty much starting after we learned how to do vitals (3rd week or so....) and I feel as though I could hit the ground running today. Our IPE's are May 22nd, and I hope to be scheduling my NR-EMT exam the following week. I pissed and moaned a lot about the class but in the end I feel like I would be woefully under trained at the minimum level the state requires.

But, I am more of a long term study/retain type. Some people can cram it in, and remember it. I need to absorb it.

dudemanguy

Forum Lieutenant
I am in a Basic class, (Nearing the end!!) but I would say it is more of a Basic+... the class is 220 or so hours and had a lot of "extras" included such as vehicle extrication's, FF recovery operations, Ice/Water rescue operations (All of the afore mentioned were the EMS functions....) we also did a class on how to help the ALS providing but setting up IV bags, 4 leads, etc... stuff like that.

Also, we have done a lot of practicals. Pretty much starting after we learned how to do vitals (3rd week or so....) and I feel as though I could hit the ground running today. Our IPE's are May 22nd, and I hope to be scheduling my NR-EMT exam the following week. I pissed and moaned a lot about the class but in the end I feel like I would be woefully under trained at the minimum level the state requires.

Thats all pretty much standard for most EMT-B courses. Well except maybe practicing water ice/rescues, I'll give your instructors credit for that. Hopefully you got lots of practice with ALS assist skills during clinicals.
Beware your class final, thats what got most of the students in my class.

mcdonl

Forum Captain
Thats all pretty much standard for most EMT-B courses.

I am only familiar with what other FD's in my area offer, and they are short 120 hour programs with low pass rates. I feel lucky to be going through this program. It seems more like what a college would offer.