2nd day on the job as a EMT. Help!?

Josh4010

Forum Probie
Yesterday was my 2nd day on the job as a emt-advanced. I have never worked with an EMS agency prior to this. I have an FTO who will be grading my performance for 2 weeks to see if I can do the job or not. My first day I think I did terrible. I had problems loading and unloading the stretcher and transferring patients from the hospital bed to the cot, or vice versa. On my 2nd day I could unload and load the cot into the truck with no problem. But I got a heavy patient one time and as I was backing out of the ambulance getting her out it felt like the cot was stuck but my fto just told me to pull out harder, and I did and I got her out. I keep doing stupid stuff. Here's a few instances, my fto told me how many miles were driven to say over the radio and I misunderstood him and said the wrong mileage. Another instance was when we had a patient on the stretcher and he said "pull up" so I thought he was talking about lifting the cot up but he was talking about moving the patient up on the cot. He asked me once what was wrong with me. He tells me that I'm doing crazy things and that I'm not getting much better. I'm not gonna lie my first and 2nd day I was a little nervous so maybe that had something to do with it idk. I just feel like I'm screwing up and that and the end of my training they might fire me. Any advice?

EMT2B

Forum Lieutenant
Honestly, to me, (having no EMT experience other than a couple ride-alongs) it sounds like your FTO is a bit of a rectal sphincter. Its your first couple days for heaven's sake. Seems like he doesn't remember what it was like to be low man on the totem pole. But that's just my opinion.

OP
OP
J

Josh4010

Forum Probie
Yeah he is kinda strict. Now he's always looking for everything that I do wrong. Do you have any advice on how to improve my performance?

J B

Forum Lieutenant
He asked me once what was wrong with me. He tells me that I'm doing crazy things and that I'm not getting much better.

You need thick skin to do this job. Maybe he's being a jerk on purpose to test and see if you're cut out for it? Maybe he's just a poop head.

Yeah he is kinda strict. Now he's always looking for everything that I do wrong. Do you have any advice on how to improve my performance?

Stop doing things wrong! Mistakes in this industry can cost lives and millions of dollars. He is right to be strict - try to view it as a good thing and learn from it. Just keep doing your best, try to learn as much as you can, find your feet quickly and don't make the same mistake twice.

Last edited by a moderator:

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
You need thick skin to do this job. Maybe he's being a jerk on purpose to test and see if you're cut out for it? Maybe he's just a poop head.

Stop doing things wrong! Mistakes in this industry can cost lives and millions of dollars. He is right to be strict - try to view it as a good thing and learn from it. Just keep doing your best, try to learn as much as you can, find your feet quickly and don't make the same mistake twice.

This I can say is the best I can tell you, Just learn from what he's saying and avoid the same mistakes. Its your first time on the bus so your learning starting from scratch. OTOH make sure when he tells you to do something repeat it back to make sure you have a clear understanding of what his expectations are. and vise versa, If you get station time. Ask him to go over things with you like the unit and locations of supplies. all the things you carry in your bags. how to properly load and unload the patient and any little "quirks your truck may have" showing that your ambitious and his arrogance towards you isn't making you think about quitting will make him either realize that your here for the long haul or that your actually dedicated to doing the job.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Don't worry it's only your first couple days on the job and you are still learning the basics about the company. Like everyone else is saying you need to have thick skin to work in this industry and take things with a grain of salt. Learn from your mistakes everyone makes them and that's how we learn. Interact with your FTO ask him questions where things are located (in the ambulance and the bags), tips/tricks on how to sheet over pt's, etc. Also communication is key you need to make sure that you and your FTO are on the same page. I'm pretty sure someone mentioned this but repeat back what he wants done, that way you guys are on the same page and it's less of a chance for you to do something wrong. You'll get better as you further along at your company.

technocardy

Forum Crew Member
It's your second day. No one will have everything figured out on their second day.

I had problems loading and unloading the stretcher and transferring patients from the hospital bed to the cot, or vice versa.

Everyone has issues with this when they first start. If you're still having issues practice taking the stretcher in and out of the ambulance with equipment on it, or ask your FTO to hop on- that'll show initiative.

Here's a few instances, my fto told me how many miles were driven to say over the radio and I misunderstood him and said the wrong mileage.

That's a completely understandable mistake for a person on his second day of the job to make. Did your FTO specify which milage to call in over the radio? Or did he just say "call the milage in?" If this wasn't covered in orientation or during first day training then don't beat yourself up over it.

Another instance was when we had a patient on the stretcher and he said "pull up" so I thought he was talking about lifting the cot up but he was talking about moving the patient up on the cot.

Again, if you're not familiar with how a patient should be positioned on a stretcher or your FTO only said "pull up" it's easy to understand how this mistake would have been made.

He asked me once what was wrong with me. He tells me that I'm doing crazy things and that I'm not getting much better.

You've been at the job for two days, what does he expect? It's called a learning curve, and it takes time, especially for someone who has never worked EMS before.

I'm not gonna lie my first and 2nd day I was a little nervous so maybe that had something to do with it idk. I just feel like I'm screwing up and that and the end of my training they might fire me.

Who wasn't nervous for their first couple of shifts, hell I was nervous for my first tour. I made simple little mistakes like forgetting to put the ambulance in drive my very first "oh :censored::censored::censored::censored:" call, forgetting to unplug the patients O2 from the ambulance to the cot as we're pulling the stretcher out, etc etc. It takes time to learn these things. Maybe have a sit down and talk with your FTO, reiterate this is your first EMS job and you're picking things up as quickly as you can.

You have 2 weeks to prove yourself, they aren't going to expect that you have mastered everything after 2 weeks. The nerves will slowly wear off and you'll become more comfortable around your FTO, resulting in less silly mistakes.

Take it day by day, and you'll get it soon enough!

forgetting to unplug the patients O2 from the ambulance to the cot as we're pulling the stretcher out!

Been there, done that. We all make mistakes. The important thing is that we learn from the mistakes we've made.

Last edited by a moderator:

hogwiley

Forum Captain
I think this is somewhat normal for new EMTs. EMT school does a poor job of preparing people for the routine stuff they will be doing as EMTs like handling a cot, driving an ambulance and filling out EPCRs and paperwork. As a result new EMTs tend to look foolish and lost.

You definitely aren't the first. A bunch of EMTs I was hired with all thought orientation would be a formality and were in for a rude awakening their first few shifts.

It probably doesn't help that you're an AEMT/Intermediate, so its assumed you have some experience and should have all this stuff down pat.