2012 Election Thread

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
There are going to be some grumpy coworkers at work tomorrow. That's all I'm gonna say about it.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
I could cry....

Among other sad things, my state just legalized weed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
There are going to be some grumpy coworkers at work tomorrow. That's all I'm gonna say about it.

Of course even if the opposite result occured, there would still be grumpy coworkers.

Welcome to America, home of two party politics and the land of disenfranchisement!

Impulse

Forum Probie
46016_357892087637798_994092825_n.jpg

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I hate it when the candidates are less than thirty percentage points apart in both electoral and popular votes. Like the groundhog seeing its shadow, four more years of gridlock

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Of course even if the opposite result occured, there would still be grumpy coworkers.

Welcome to America, home of two party politics and the land of disenfranchisement!

Not nearly as many though lol

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I'm beginning to believe that we should change how the Electoral College works. Make them vote based upon Congressional districts instead of if you win by one vote you get ALL of the state's electoral votes. This would actually be more representative of how the popular vote goes.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I'm beginning to believe that we should change how the Electoral College works. Make them vote based upon Congressional districts instead of if you win by one vote you get ALL of the state's electoral votes. This would actually be more representative of how the popular vote goes.

I think we should do away with it completely.

Popular vote only. Otherwise it means your vote does not count. I also heard a rhumor in some states a delegate can vote as they choose and historically there have been 2 who have voted against what the state decided.

Way too much power.

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I think we should do away with it completely.

Popular vote only. Otherwise it means your vote does not count. I also heard a rhumor in some states a delegate can vote as they choose and historically there have been 2 who have voted against what the state decided.

Way too much power.

That would require a Constitutional Amendment. Changing how the delegates vote can be done by changing either state laws or making a federal law.

silver

Forum Asst. Chief

However, congressional districts still aren't of equal populations. I think there is a variation of 400k between the largest and smallest district. Additionally, each district doesn't have equal voters. It would be interesting to see a change to popular vote, but I just don't see that happening (beyond making an amendment). Logistically it is a nightmare already and we don't count every vote accurately as is now. Potentially you may see more states splitting there electoral college votes though.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
That would require a Constitutional Amendment. .

Not a chance at that.

It would mean all of the rural states wouldn't be able to block what all the populated states wanted.

I believe it was Justice Scalia who recently said the current system in the US gave disproportional power to the rural states and would not be sustainable in the future.

Changing how the delegates vote can be done by changing either state laws or making a federal law.

I still do not like the idea of the electoral college. I think it is a outdated concept.

Prohibition was.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
If we do away with the electoral college, that would be an excellent way to start the process of abolishing the two party system.

I am undecided if I am actually for such action. While I hate how partisan this country has become, the stability associated with it is something that most Americans do not understand. In a true multi-party system, the swings of power in the upper levels of government can be very de-stabilizing and prevent any sort of long term initiatives from being implemented. I'm not sure a nation as large as America could tolerate this.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Whether or not this can be blamed by the current administration, there are a number of us that have been thinking about possibly moving to another country should we have conditions similar to Weimar Germany, which is rampant hyperinflation. I'd hate to retire and have my pension check command the purchasing power of a minimum wage salary or worse.

It's funny - I've been saying that I would look into the job market for paramedics in Australia. This morning, a co-worker that is not a paramedic said the same thing. I get home, and my wife said that people were posting maps of Australia and voicing a move there as a real option if nothing changes for the better with our government.

BTW, I remember a thread about U.S. paramedics seeking employment in Australia. Anyone remember the name?

Anyhow, I believe that Real Estate is the best hedge against inflation. I'm going to closing for my second home in a couple of weeks, so at least my payments will be static with the exceptions of taxes and insurance.

Sharky

Forum Probie
I would like to see even 1/2 the people who say they're going to leave the country after an election actually do so.

Right after I see Sasquatch....

:rofl:

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I would like to see even 1/2 the people who say they're going to leave the country after an election actually do so.

Right after I see Sasquatch....

:rofl:

Well, if a loaf of bread ends up costing me $25, and gas is $30/gal (which could happen with hyperinflation)
, I''ll have to figure out something. And that's no laughing matter.

Why do you think illegals come here for work and handouts? Making $40/week in their country is kind of the same thing. We could easily regress to Third World conditions. Look at NYC and LI after the hurricane and multiply that by several factors

JPINFV

Gadfly
However, congressional districts still aren't of equal populations. I think there is a variation of 400k between the largest and smallest district. Additionally, each district doesn't have equal voters. It would be interesting to see a change to popular vote, but I just don't see that happening (beyond making an amendment). Logistically it is a nightmare already and we don't count every vote accurately as is now. Potentially you may see more states splitting there electoral college votes though.

The biggest issue is that states are given an elector for every member of Congress. Congressional districts are only used in the House of Representatives while the 2 senators are statewide representatives. At best, you can go district by district and give a bonus 2 electors to whoever wins statewide.