19 year old chest pain.

ERDoc

Forum Asst. Chief
yes it is unlikely that it is a cardiac event: but you can't say that for sure: (unless there is a known trauma event leading up to the chest pain {IE base ball to the chest}): we don't have blood work up in the truck, nor chest x-ray capability: An ED won't make that decision on a 12 lead only.

Yes it can be a PE, but without a complaint of difficulty breathing or travel, etc then that is hard to make that decision also.

Treat it like it is a cardiac event and transport. Hate to be the crew that takes a patient into the ED having chest pain that you ignored because they are too young to be having an MI, and find out later that the patient had a MI.

Using that reasoning, this could also be a dissection and I would imagine that you would hate to be the crew that takes a patient into the ED having chest pain that you ignored because they are too young to be having a dissection, and find out later that the patient had a dissection and you gave something that was contraindicated.

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
It sounds to me like a pulmonary embolism is more likely in a 19 year old female. Probably on BC. PE pain can radiate. Did you put her on capno?

Especially if she is on birth control pills.

*Edit: I just saw that you had that there. Didn't see it.

cruiseforever

Forum Asst. Chief
I believe you are going to see an increase of MIs in a younger population in the future. With the improved cardiac care that we have now, people that used to die are now living and passing their genes onto the next generation.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
I had a 24 y/o M c/o 5/10 retrosternal CP radiating bilaterally across the front of his chest, onset while shovelling snow. No history, no known family history, no meds, denied drug use, reported good health in preceding days. Begin my assessment with cardiac not at the top of my list, leaning (reasonably I thought) towards muscular injury given the weight of snow, length of driveway and low risk. Performed a routine 12 lead and got obvious elevation in V1, V2, V3, V4. No evidence of diffuse global elevation, clear unequivocal tracing. Confirm no use of cocaine which Pt. denies adamantly.

Start treatment, package and transport activating the cath lab. Cardiologist meets us, gets report, reviews the ECG; first words "no cocaine?" Goes into the procedure room and talks to the patient ending with: "We are going to do a procedure where I place a wire into your heart. If there is any chance you've taken cocaine, please just tell us so we don't place you at any further risk." Pt still denies.

100% occlusion LCA. Didn't even stent, Doc did a clotectomy and removed a clot I swear was about the size of my pinky nail (Paramedic fish story?). It was a great lesson to have early in my career for reinforcing thorough assessment and never discounting the possibility of outliers. Sometimes, sometimes, hooves are zebras.

Tiger09

Forum Probie
Using that reasoning, this could also be a dissection and I would imagine that you would hate to be the crew that takes a patient into the ED having chest pain that you ignored because they are too young to be having a dissection, and find out later that the patient had a dissection and you gave something that was contraindicated.
A dissection is a contraindication for aspirin?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
They should add that in aspirins contraindications
Hemorrhages is listed as a contraindication in many texts about ASA.

Also is it really needed? If you know what ASA does (which anyone who is giving it to patients should know) then you should know to not give it to patients who are bleeding or there is a strong suspension of bleeding.

Tiger09

Forum Probie
I think

Also is it really needed? If you know what ASA does (which anyone who is giving it to patients should know) then you should know to not give it to patients who are bleeding or there is a strong suspension of bleeding.
I think it all depends on the situation. Obviously 19 y/o chest pain with no other info could be anything. A dissection could cause an MI, in which you would give aspirin if you didn't suspect a bleed and nitro if they're not hypotensive. And because you treated the MI you made the patient bleed out. You wouldn't withhold aspirin on a MI because of hypotension right? Every situation is different

Tiger09

Forum Probie

Don't get me wrong though, you do make a great point. I'm a medic student and it's definitely something I will strongly consider on related calls

ERDoc

Forum Asst. Chief
I think

I think it all depends on the situation. Obviously 19 y/o chest pain with no other info could be anything. A dissection could cause an MI, in which you would give aspirin if you didn't suspect a bleed and nitro if they're not hypotensive. And because you treated the MI you made the patient bleed out. You wouldn't withhold aspirin on a MI because of hypotension right? Every situation is different

You should probably review the reason we give ASA in MIs. Why would you give it in someone with an MI from a dissection?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
How would you even know someone is having an MI from a dissection? (Serious question)
12-lead. In the cases where an MI has occurred during a dissection the MIs were from the lack of blood due to the dissection and not because of a blockage (according to the cases I saw on pubmed).

ERDoc

Forum Asst. Chief
How would you even know someone is having an MI from a dissection? (Serious question)

It's all about the history. Your history will give you 90% of the diagnosis (assuming you ask the right questions) in medical pts. There is nothing wrong with withholding ASA until you get to the hospital. Just document why you didn't give it. I would never give a second thought to a crew NOT giving ASA to an 19y/o with chest pain. More than likely it is none of the above and something more benign like pleurisy, reflux or stupid.

Tiger09

Forum Probie
12-lead. In the cases where an MI has occurred during a dissection the MIs were from the lack of blood due to the dissection and not because of a blockage (according to the cases I saw on pubmed).
But do you know how a 12-lead would present as an MI from loss of blood rather than one from a blockage?

cprted

Forum Captain
I think we need to tidy up a few things, when we're talking dissections, we're not talking about a ruptured aorta and exsanguination, those bleed out long before we get there. That patient will present in cardiac arrest.

When we talk about dissection causing MI, we're talking about a Type A dissection that extends into the aortic sinus thus impeding blood flow to the coronary arteries.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3354459/