19 day EMT course?

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Do you really need so many hours?

Perhaps the focus on hours is part of the issue. Competency - I would say - should be our biggest focus. It might take 10 attempts for one trainee to apply a traction splint on a mannequin the first time, but 2 for somebody else...does it really matter either way, as long as they do it right the first time on the test (and on patients)?

Agg04

Forum Probie
Ugh. I feel like a course like this is total BS and shouldn't even be an option. 19 days to learn the total amount of information you have to? Where I live, without driving 45+ minutes there are two main EMT-B courses offered in the immediate area. The local community college, which has a GREAT reputation in the Fire/EMS community, the curriculum really challenges you. And then there is a local EMS mill, that is overpriced and has a horrible reputation. Over 75% of the class is online, including most of the lectures. It has a incredibly high pass rate that encourages many people that don't typically do well with school, but there is a reason why. It is below sub par and I would hope that these students do not pass the NREMT by luck. Being ignorant, I applied to both schools in the beginning just incase i did not get into one school that at least i have a fall back. Of course I got an acceptance from the EMS mill almost immediately, but I did not commit until I was sure that I got rejected by the community college.
Even after I accepted the offer to the community college the EMS mill was relentless and did not stop calling me until the semester actually started. It was pathetic. Even though my program was fast paced and at times was a little challenging I couldn't be happier with my decision.
This 19 day course makes me want to punch a ****ing wall.

OP
OP
Chuckleface

Chuckleface

Forum Probie
Thanks for all the feedback.

Here's my current situation and why this type of a course appeals to me right now. I'm in high school, at the moment, so without my high school diploma there aren't any EMT courses I can. Once I do get my diploma I'll be going to college to get my BSN and I'm planning not to work a lot during my first year of college, that way I can get used to the college life and work load without having to worry to much about a job. So I don't think taking a course during the summer between high school and college would be wise since there would be a year between the time of the course and when I would be looking into EMS. So the way I see it, the best time to take an EMT course would be the summer between my freshman and sophomore year of college and then start working part time as an EMT.

Is it possible to take a semester long EMT course in a summer and if so, would it be a better option then an accelerated course like the 19-day course?

Obviously there isn't a definite yes or no answer since everyone has different opinions, as we've seen, but I would be curious to know what y'all think.

rescue1

Forum Asst. Chief
If you're already going to be taking a nursing course, I feel like you're going to cover most of the "gaps" that an accelerated course will have in your normal studies. If you feel like you can handle it I would go for it. Others may disagree though.

As far as a semester long class in the summer it probably just depends on the area and where you live.

Agg04

Forum Probie
Is it possible to take a semester long EMT course in a summer and if so, would it be a better option then an accelerated course like the 19-day course?

Obviously there isn't a definite yes or no answer since everyone has different opinions, as we've seen, but I would be curious to know what y'all think.

Is it possible? Yeah of course. Seeing as summer is (i believe?) only a week or two shorter than a regular semester it is definitely doable and I believe would be much more effective than a 19 day course. I think one reason why I liked my non accelerated course is because i got to interact and get to know a lot of awesome instructors and also awesome students. I like hearing from peoples experience. I think its an awesome plan to get into a summer EMT program if there is one near you after you get your high school diploma. The schools near me do not offer one but I know when I went through EMT they were talking about adding one because we have so many people wanting to do it. I think its great that you are thinking so far ahead and are very motivated. Just do what you believe will be comfortable for you. Good luck man!

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
There's absolutely nothing wrong with a month-long EMT class, as long as the faculty know their ****. My class had a dropout rate of 35%, but among these who made it to the finish line, only 1 hadn't passed the NREMT on the 1st go. Was it challenging ? To some degree, yes. Primarily because it was quizzes and tests every other day, and we spent ~55 hrs a week in the classroom. But as long as you aren't a complete stranger to anything medical, it's not as bad as people paint it. My only pet peeve with the course the OP linked, is it's ridiculous cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk