Zoo security stops EMS from reaching boy injured by camel in park

ArcticKat

Forum Captain

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Title suggestion: Zoo Security Seals Zoo, Ignorant of Child's Injury

We used to have instances at my work where a LVN or aid would call 911 and not tell Custody...

rogersam5

Forum Crew Member
My question is why keep EMS out? They arn't smuggling the camel in! :rolleyes:

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
When you're responding to a large public gathering space such a zoo, amusement park, or mall, I think it's a very good idea to have dispatch notify security on site while you're en route. It's good to have everyone on board and security is usually helpful as far as providing access to secured areas, extra crowd control, etc.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
When you're responding to a large public gathering space such a zoo, amusement park, or mall, I think it's a very good idea to have dispatch notify security on site while you're en route. It's good to have everyone on board and security is usually helpful as far as providing access to secured areas, extra crowd control, etc.

Right. Really though, the dispatcher should have caught this in the call taking. 911 call from a public facility like that originating from someone other than the staff of the facility? Should have merited a call to security. That's just good practice.

Where I worked, if we coded the address and it came up as a business (or the other way around...coding the business to get the address) either way, the cad would give us the security and admin contact numbers for the place.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Right. Really though, the dispatcher should have caught this in the call taking. 911 call from a public facility like that originating from someone other than the staff of the facility? Should have merited a call to security. That's just good practice.

Where I worked, if we coded the address and it came up as a business (or the other way around...coding the business to get the address) either way, the cad would give us the security and admin contact numbers for the place.

Totally agree, and this is protocol for us as well. If your dispatch isn't as on top of it though, you might need to prompt them, I suppose.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
While I completely agree that dispatch should contact security in these situations, the security guards should never ever stop uniformed badged EMS providers who show up and say there's a patient inside. It opens up the facility to liability for any complications caused by the delay, and how many instances are there of medics showing up in an ambulance so they can get into the zoo for free?

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Did you not read that the security were doing exactly what they were trained to do...all they knew was an animal was on the loose. As information was coming in, they responded appropriately but absolutely they should deny entry to everyone, including EMS workers.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
EMS should not respond to unsafe scenes and security had reports of an animal on the loose. Let them get the scene safe.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
It's a camel, not a tiger...

Initial reports were of an animal on loose...do you want to make assumptions when responding to a zoo or would you rather wait for factual information and declaration of a safe scene? Are you an animal expert or would you let the handlers secure it first?

Have you been around camels much? They can and will kill you...just because he looks cute standing in his cage and chewing straw does not mean that is always his temperament. Obviously this one was already spooked...

Wanna be a hero...do it on your own time.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
The Bronx Zoo is down the block from where I work. They have had a poisonous snake escape within the last 2 months and some sort of bird 2 weeks ago. If I am responding to a call there and security prevents us from responding because there is an escaped animal, we will wait until its deemed clear for us to go in.

Last edited by a moderator:

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Wanna be a hero...do it on your own time.

If you have read any of my posts in any of the scene safety threads, you'll see that I'm a very big proponent of scene safety.

Now, with that out of the way...

Initial reports were of an animal on loose...do you want to make assumptions when responding to a zoo or would you rather wait for factual information and declaration of a safe scene? Are you an animal expert or would you let the handlers secure it first?

I'll admit that I wasn't aware that the initial reports were of an animal on the loose. Foolish me thought that anyone in the zoo would be able to identify a camel, as opposed to a penguin, or chimpanzee.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
If you have read any of my posts in any of the scene safety threads, you'll see that I'm a very big proponent of scene safety.

Now, with that out of the way...

I'll admit that I wasn't aware that the initial reports were of an animal on the loose. Foolish me thought that anyone in the zoo would be able to identify a camel, as opposed to a penguin, or chimpanzee.
you don't seem to care about scene safety here oddly enough. You want ignore security and rush in. Not much on scene safety. Sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I am not sure the best method for scene safety is for EMS to shoot a zoo animal. Just let the zoo staff get the scene safe or bring the patient too you.