Zero Tolerance of Rudeness/Attacks/Inflammatory Posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Community,

Over the past few months, and likely for much longer, members have contacted me and said that they're not posting out of fear of the EMTLife lynch mob that has taken over almost every thread in the community. I can't stand the fact that for the past few weeks I haven't frequented my own forum because I don't look forward to the endless junk posts, arguments, and debates that every thread eventually evolves into.

EMTLife is not the community I envisioned when I created the site years ago. While we've added thousands of members and many posts, there are individuals and groups that continually bully other members.

Effective immediately we will double our efforts enforce the following rule:
While we promote debating and discussion, we will not tolerate rudeness, defamatory or insulting posts, personal attacks or purposeless inflammatory posts.
Members who attack new members, hijack threads to post their anti-volunteer views, and belittle members are not welcome in our community. If you want to create a thread on a hot topic you're more than welcome, but leave the other threads alone.

Consequences:
For each violation you will be issued a "First Rule Violation" infraction.

1. Warning
  2. 15 day ban
  3. 30 day ban
  4. 90 day ban
  5. 365 day ban
There is no appeals process or second chances. There are many other EMS communities online that you're welcome to frequent if you don't agree with our community expectations. Sure, some of our most prolific posters most likely will no longer be part of our community, but it's critical that we take back the community and once again make it a place that welcomes all.

Luno

OG
Premium Member
Well Put

I think that the overall professionalism has decreased since I signed up (a long time ago) and there has been a movement away from fact based debates to name calling and abusive behavior. Well done admins! -Luno

medic417

The Truth Provider
But where is the interpretation. If a point is made and now I can not reply for fear of being banned is that fair? Do I have to make my own topic to reply to any point so it does not appear I am attacking by sharing my opinion?

There needs to be a point of balance where opposing sides can voice their opinions w/o fear of it being interpreted as crossing the line.

Well thats just my 2 cents.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Then can we place more emphasis upon if you don't want an honest opinion don't post? I do remember many years ago when this site was all touchy and feely, the main emphasis was placed upon what color of light's to place on your p.o.v.

Truthfully, I will tone it down and be cute & cuddly. Really does not matter, if one cannot handle simple criticism on a forum they will not be able to handle the real profession or job. That is why we don't see many return as most never really enter the workplace.

I now return you to what the infamous .... "what was your score or what is the best pair of socks/boots to wear".

p.s. expect the posts number to decrease.

R/r 911

Sasha

Forum Chief
Sure, some of our most prolific posters most likely will no longer be part of our community, but it's critical that we take back the community and once again make it a place that welcomes all.

That's kind of contradictory, is it not? You are not welcoming all, just those who play Mary Sunshine.

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
But where is the interpretation. If a point is made and now I can not reply for fear of being banned is that fair? Do I have to make my own topic to reply to any point so it does not appear I am attacking by sharing my opinion?

There needs to be a point of balance where opposing sides can voice their opinions w/o fear of it being interpreted as crossing the line.

The problem is that you're posting everything that you think and feel. There needs to be a filter between what you think and what you post on the internet. Maybe I'm the only one, but I post about half of the responses I actually type out. I type them, read them, and really question if they contribute to the discussion. If not, I simply don't hit the reply button.

There are many ways to get a point across without being a jerk about it. If you're not sure, then just don't post the message.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader

You can reply to a thread. You can voice your opinion.

You can do so as long as you follow the rules.

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
That's kind of contradictory, is it not? You are not welcoming all, just those who play Mary Sunshine.
We welcome all members to the community. A member's ability to contribute posts to the community is restricted after too many rules violations.

The point is that many of our members feel as though they own part of the community and deserve something because of their participation. Though it is a tough decision, throughout our history we've banned some of our most active members due to excessive rule violations.

Ridryder911: expect the posts number to decrease.

Post numbers mean almost nothing. I'd much rather have constructive posts than endless junk.

Sasha

Forum Chief
We welcome all members to the community. A member's ability to contribute posts to the community is restricted after too many rules violations.

The point is that many of our members feel as though they own part of the community and deserve something because of their participation. Though it is a tough decision, throughout our history we've banned some of our most active members due to excessive rule violations.

Post numbers mean almost nothing. I'd much rather have constructive posts than endless junk.

But what do you think when you ban the top contributors? The people who complain are usually the ones who ask the age old questions about light bars and stethescopes and useless questions that contribute nothing of substance. We all know who you are referring to when you mention 'prolific members'. and they are the ones who offer the most contstructive posts.

Sure, they are not sugar coated, perhaps they could be softer, but they offer the most information and insight, lovebug.

Last edited by a moderator:

medic417

The Truth Provider

The majority of the quality constructive educational posts of late have been from those that are bringing into question volunteers, fire fighters, education. By the original post of this topic those posters now will be silenced. I fear this site will no longer be educational but become a good ol' boy pat everybody on the back no matter how wrong they are site.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Grace also comes with tact and manners

I for one have,have not posted for a very long time for this very reason.
I believe that we are all to be respectful and be professional in our actions, words and deeds. people also need to to remember that we have members here that are younger and that we as PROFESSIONALS need to set the example and stand by it. The community leaders have my blessing!

*~* Airwaygoddess*~*

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
But what do you think when you ban the top contributors? The people who complain are usually the ones who ask the age old questions about light bars and stethescopes and useless questions that contribute nothing of substance. We all know who you are referring to when you mention 'prolific members'. and they are the ones who offer the most contstructive posts.

Sure, they are not sugar coated, perhaps they could be softer, but they offer the most information and insight, lovebug.
Sasha,

When I mentioned "prolific members" I'm not referring to any one member. Though we've had members with large post counts be banned in recent months, we've had similar issues throughout the site's history. We existed before 08-20-2008.

Banning any member is tough, it really is, but I've found that our community is almost always stronger because of it.

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
The majority of the quality constructive educational posts of late have been from those that are bringing into question volunteers, fire fighters, education. By the original post of this topic those posters now will be silenced. I fear this site will no longer be educational but become a good ol' boy pat everybody on the back no matter how wrong they are site.
Those type of debates are more than welcome at EMTLife, but you may not hijack a members thread because of it. I'm tired of a volunteer posting a question and then the whole anti-volunteer gang jumps on the post because of it. If you want to rant about how much volunteers are hurting our profession then you're welcome to start a thread on the topic, but don't hijack another member's thread.

Sasha

Forum Chief
We existed before 08-20-2008.

I find that kind of rude. Very funny when this thread is about how to be nice and respectful to all members. Does that not count for moderators?

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Hmmmmmmmm......... I guess you did not read my post.............

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
The Community Leaders and Chat Hosts are held to a higher standard than our members. This thread is going to stay on topic. If you have any personal questions or concerns you're more than welcome to PM me.

JPINFV

Gadfly
See, here's the problem with this. What is the exact definition of these "rudeness/attack/inflammatory" posts. I'll give a perfect example. Paramedichopeful posted the now quasi-deleted (moved to mod only viewing arena) "How to exceed an inspection" thread. Several posteres, of which I was the first to ask, asked a serious question of if it was a students job to be doing a deep cleaning of an ambulance instead of the duty crew. These posts 'disappeared.'

I can only fear that what was asked as an extremely serious question with no attempt to belittle, be rude, or attack Paramedichopeful would now fall under this rule.

Are we not supposed to ask questions that might be a little uncomfortable? Are we not supposed to post questions, comments, or concerns that might disagree with the OPs mind set or might be against someone's views out of fear of violating 'rule 1?' How much discussion, or debate can there be when disagreement is outlawed through fear?

Pudge40

Forum Lieutenant
If you don't want all the junk then why not delete the repeat posts that the new people like to post because they don't like to rummage through the search results?

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
If you don't want all the junk then why not delete the repeat posts that the new people like to post because they don't like to rummage through the search results?
That's not the problem.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Status
Not open for further replies.