Zap medics resond to man down.

Do you feel the photos in this thread are inappropriate. Poll is anonymous.

• Yes they are inappropriate.

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • No they are fine.

Votes: 45 88.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
While driving I ran across this great scene. An older gentleman had for some reason fallen out of his wheelchair, possibly a motor vehicle vs ped. A ZAP ambulance crew that normally does only IFT stopped to render aide. The ZAP crew stayed with the patient all the way thru working side by side with HFD EMS. EMTLIFE would like to say job well done.

Two ZAP medics working patient.

ZAP2.jpg

ZAP.jpg

HFD EMS arrives

ZAP3.jpg

ZAP medics stay with patient and work seamlessly side by side with HFD EMS.

ZAP7.jpg

ZAP6.jpg

Sasha

Forum Chief
I'm sorry but I do not think you should have taken pictures of them working on a patient. It's poor taste.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
There is a patient in those pictures?

Didn't see it.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
The image size makes the text go off the screen on my puter. Well, I do have my resolution set for my aging eyes.

Sasha

Forum Chief
No of course there is no visible patient. But normally i find it poor taste to sit and watch EMS crews working on a patient, snapping pictures.

I know I've read many posts of people frustrated with busy body onlookers and gawkers on here.

Only difference is its a well liked poster here.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I know I've read many posts of people frustrated with busy body onlookers and gawkers on here.

Yea, and even posts by people who claim family members shouldn't be in an ambulance during a code.

They need to get over it.

Emergency care is not something that happens in a back room with nobody watching all the time.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Yea, and even posts by people who claim family members shouldn't be in an ambulance during a code.

They need to get over it.

Emergency care is not something that happens in a back room with nobody watching all the time.

It's poor taste to sit and stare at a patient getting worked on.

Emergency medicine isn't happening in a back room obviously but it isn't entertainment hour either.

Go watch an episode of trauma if you're bored but give the patient some respect and privacy.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
It's poor taste to sit and stare at a patient getting worked on.

Emergency medicine isn't happening in a back room obviously but it isn't entertainment hour either.

Go watch an episode of trauma if you're bored but give the patient some respect and privacy.

You don't think that EMS should get some media face time now and again?

Edit: I think these shots were well taken to protect any distateful images of the patient, and the worst thing about it is the really stupid name of the ambulance compnay.

Last edited by a moderator:

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I appreciate the intent, BBG. I wouldn't love having my backside posted, but if I put it out there in the public domain, it's fair game.

The patient wasn't shown, and of he was, he was still in the public view. Public interest includes puppies, kittens and helping people across the street or out of the gutter.

I know plenty of people who would agree with you though, Sasha. It's a matter of our culture's increasing desensitivity to constant electronic monitoring that moves us further down this path towards acceptance.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
You don't think that EMS should get some media face time now and again?

Edit: I think these shots were well taken to protect any distateful images of the patient, and the worst thing about it is the really stupid name of the ambulance compnay.

Absolutely on the edit! I accidentally made it in the newspaper on a fire this weekend. Was it in poor taste for the newspaper to photograph a home in danger of destruction?

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I also thought it was kind of a silly name, but I suppose there are only so many combinations of "life", "med", "star" and "care".

As for the pictures I'm with Vene on this one. The pt is barely visible, the ems personnel aren't even that identifiable, and nothing questionable or in poor taste was shown. It is well established in the US that we do not have an expectation of privacy in public, it has been that way for years.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I also thought it was kind of a silly name, but I suppose there are only so many combinations of "life", "med", "star" and "care"..

How about "Granny tranny dialysis derby lizard transport?"
(still sounds better than "zap")

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Irrelevancies

ZAP is near the end of the alphabet in the phone book. (What' a phone book?).

I saw Waldo.

I think it's a jump ball about being photographed at a distance. I don't like it because context is lacking, there can be sacrifice of pt privacy without redeeming public good, and I don't make my uniforms look good (anymore). These photos seem to be in the "OK I guess" category.

Move in close with a helmet cam or tape recorder (recording AED?) and I am not happy.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
So the helmet cam video of the firefighter rescue and resultant CPR that has been making the rounds, including JEMS.com, is in poor taste?

Veneficus

Forum Chief
So the helmet cam video of the firefighter rescue and resultant CPR that has been making the rounds, including JEMS.com, is in poor taste?

I won't say it is in poor taste, but I can see where friends and family seeing their loved one as part of a video spectacle in a time of duress would upset people.

Especially when the average nonexpert in public safety or medicine finds the view disturbing.

OP
OP
bigbaldguy

bigbaldguy

More pics were taken that I chose not to use because you could see the patient more clearly. This happened in a public area with traffic stopped and a crowd standing nearby for a dog adoption event. I in no way feel the pictures I posted are in any way inappropriate as they simply show a great crew doing an excellent job of helping someone in need. Very few events like this are not captured by the public with cameras these days. Sooner or later we will all work a call in front of the camera and for my part I hope the film shows me doing exactly what I'm supposed to do just like these guys.

OP
OP
bigbaldguy

bigbaldguy

Oh and just FYI they aren't "working the patient" as in CPR the patient was conscious the whole time. Sorry that may have been a bad choice of words on my part.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
More pics were taken that I chose not to use because you could see the patient more clearly. This happened in a public area with traffic stopped and a crowd standing nearby for a dog adoption event. I in no way feel the pictures I posted are in any way inappropriate as they simply show a great crew doing an excellent job of helping someone in need. Very few events like this are not captured by the public with cameras these days. Sooner or later we will all work a call in front of the camera and for my part I hope the film shows me doing exactly what I'm supposed to do just like these guys.

The reason ORs were originally called surgical "theatres" is because they had a public gallery.

...No pressure...

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I believe that pictures showing patient care, shared between professionals, are entirely appropriate. Let's be honest, do pictures of a bunch of EMTs bending over patient on the ground teach us anything? Answer: no. However, a video shot of a paramedic intubating a patient inside a vehicle using a technique which many of us may have not used in the past could be educational. Should it be shared on YouTube? Probably not. But in a forum like this, populated by EMS professionals, I feel pictures showing patient care and techniques are entirely appropriate.

Unfortunately, many of the pictures that are taken are shown for shock value. "Look at this guy!"