Youtube video- Detroit EMS: No Unit Available

socoemt

Forum Probie
I came across this video a little while ago and was wondering if anyone knows if this is an accurate portrayal of EMS in Detroit, and if so has anything changed over the last couple years?

I know in my area if I talked like that on the news I would be fired and shunned from the EMS community. Maybe tarred and feathered... Especially considering how the EMT talks about Detroit FD!

The reporting is kind of ridiculous... I had to laugh when the reporter told the guy he was interviewing to get more emotional...

Any thoughts/comments?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp0O0Za73QM

Impulse

Forum Probie
I'm sure the story is exaggerated. But it still doesn't deny the fact that Detroit is a complete crap hole.

Along with bailing out the bankers and auto industry. The Federal government gave billions to State and local municipalities. That money is quickly drying up, the states and cities realize they have no choice other than to declare bankruptcy. The days of working for the government, and having a steady paycheck. Are coming to a end.

Uclabruin103

Forum Lieutenant
Think some private company will come in? Think they could even turn a profit in a destroyed financial Detroit?

Achilles

Forum Moron
I'm sure the story is exaggerated. But it still doesn't deny the fact that Detroit is a complete crap hole.

Along with bailing out the bankers and auto industry. The Federal government gave billions to State and local municipalities. That money is quickly drying up, the states and cities realize they have no choice other than to declare bankruptcy. The days of working for the government, and having a steady paycheck. Are coming to a end.

Are the suburbs a crap hole too?

Impulse

Forum Probie
Are the suburbs a crap hole too?

Have heard the suburbs north of Detroit are deteriorating.

Uclabruin103: It's possible private EMS will come in, but that all depends on the stranglehold the unions have. And with it being Detroit, I'm sure they are tight.

SeaFoam

Forum Probie
Have heard the suburbs north of Detroit are deteriorating.

Uclabruin103: It's possible private EMS will come in, but that all depends on the stranglehold the unions have. And with it being Detroit, I'm sure they are tight.

I doubt there's enough revenue there to justify moving in.

Some of the suburbs are very bad, others are very nice. Kind of like Chicago...

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I grew up literally just a couple miles north of Detroit and worked for a private service that was in the suburbs.

Detroit EMS has some great employees, but the system is just fundamentally broken. Too many calls for too few ambulances with too many problems. As a municipal department the funding doesn't appear to be there to staff and equip the department appropriately.

I hear that more recently privates are being called to run calls in Detroit when they don't have the rigs, but the privates appear to run them out to charity. The bill will likely never be paid. Any smart private wouldn't make a business out of running in Detroit.

Sadly I'm not sure that there is a solution.

DarkStarr

Forum Lieutenant
No unit available? Happens all the time here in Beaver County! Seems like 961 dispatch is always scrambling to pull a truck from the hospital!

some1ne

Forum Crew Member
Looks like a helluva job. No wonder the turnover rate is so high in EMT.

Last edited by a moderator: