Youth Impales Self With Arrow

MariaCatEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
[ Florida Today ]

A 7-year-old boy rushed by his father to a West Melbourne fire station with a 21/2-foot arrow stuck in his neck Thursday underwent surgery, officials said.

"He's a pretty tough kid and was in good spirits," said Lt. Dave Hover, one of the Brevard County Fire-Rescue workers who treated the boy's injuries.

[ Read More ]

I have a question about this....was the advice from the fire chief to the father to bring his son to the fire station correct? Anyone have comments on this? Perhaps because the nearest hospital was too far away and they wished to assess the child first, that this was okay? (ie: concerns about airway and bleeding?) Anyone have comments? Also, other than in the text book, I have never seen an impalement of any kind, can they be difficult to stabilize? (as far as cutting down and immobilizing, and when it involves potential airway involvement, how would you treat it?) I'm sorry if these questions are stupid. :blink:

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by MariaCatEMT@Jul 30 2004, 08:42 AM
I have a question about this....was the advice from the fire chief to the father to bring his son to the fire station correct? Anyone have comments on this? Perhaps because the nearest hospital was too far away and they wished to assess the child first, that this was okay? (ie: concerns about airway and bleeding?) Anyone have comments? Also, other than in the text book, I have never seen an impalement of any kind, can they be difficult to stabilize? (as far as cutting down and immobilizing, and when it involves potential airway involvement, how would you treat it?) I'm sorry if these questions are stupid. :blink:
The fire chief was only trying to get the child to the NEAREST medical services, where the arrow could be stabilized and the child looked at.

1. This allowed the child to receive treatment much sooner
2. He was provided treatment while in route to the hospital instead of waiting until he arrived. Remember, driving to the hospital might be faster than waiting for the ambulance, but treatment doesn't start until you get there.
3. A distraught father was not driving an injured child to the hospital Emergency Room in downtown traffic (making it safer for everyone)

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Not yet :D

OP
OP
MariaCatEMT

MariaCatEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Well, I owe you an apology, that was uncalled for on my part. I am FRUSTRATED. Regarding advice I received on this board I contacted the necessary folks about going to intermediate school.....and found out I can't go. Here in this community, unless you have written recommendations from "a professional service" you can't upgrade to intermediate, even if you pay out of pocket. Here's the catch-22. I can't get a recommendation unless I have verifiable "street experience" which I can't get unless I'm "hired". The vollie agency I belong to gets very few calls in the way of EMS, usually by the time we respond to the station and get enroute, one of the other services is already there (which I understand). Thanks for over-looking my rudeness, I'm sorry. It just doesn't look like things are going to work out, and that my tuition for EMT-B was a waste. And boy to I HATE wasting my time and money! :angry:

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
No apologies needed because no offense was taken.

As far as your situation goes, it sucks. But don't give up trying, and don't ever think gaining the knowledge of an EMT-B is a waste.

BTW, I think we've gotten a little off topic with this thread. If you want to continue it, start another discussion in the EMS Lounge.