Your perfect ambulance

snaketooth10k

Forum Crew Member
Ridryder got me thinking in another post... Ambulances are probably made by people who don't have to work in them, so what would it be like if the EMS community described their dreambulance? Time to shine folks

TheMowingMonk

Forum Lieutenant
I know from the Beat up mods my service uses having air ride suspension on the rear wheels under the box would be awesome, and having all the switches for the lights, air conditioing, O2 and stuff be on the side next to you so you dont have to reach over your pt to turn stuff on and off.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Big, wide, clean, well lit with tons of well organized cabinets

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Fully stocked when I get it thursday night, organized when I get it back on thursday night... Basically like I leave it for the next crew on Monday night.

ILemt

Forum Lieutenant
One with a comm system that works,
With an onboard o2 system that doesnt leak
and that motorists actually move out of the way for.

Oh... and it has to be a box.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
NO Diamond plate steel or any steel corners, brushed aluminum, chrome.. in the back! Who really thought of that crap? All it does is harbor bacteria. Also, why does the back have to be square?.. The same question, why is the attendant seat exactly behind the head? Can it not be in a cove shape similar to a dentist office working area? Where they sit to the side and equipment is always at a reach.

The same as why do we have any spickets, knobs, latches that stick out from the walls & cabinets? They all could be recessed in and even placed onto electrical circuits. Have digital check lights for amount of oxygen in the tank, room temp, etc.

Why not have a LED (15" or bigger) wide screen monitor, mounted in the truck with a quick connect/disconnect adapter?.. Automatically downloads into your e-pcr.

R/r 911

firecoins

IFT Puppet
seriously, my perfect ambulance is in working condition. Its clean, fully stocked and it starts. Its well lit inside and out. I prefer type 3s.

OP
OP
S

snaketooth10k

Forum Crew Member
The same question, why is the attendant seat exactly behind the head?

The same as why do we have any spickets, knobs, latches that stick out from the walls & cabinets? They all could be recessed in and even placed onto electrical circuits. Have digital check lights for amount of oxygen in the tank, room temp, etc.
R/r 911

I agree completely with ridryder about the attendant seat. It's pretty much useless except for not dying in a crash. sure you can get to the "action area" and the cp, but there's no patient access. I know that our ambulances have those digital readouts for o2 pressure, room temp, and other necesary things. our cabinets are all flat faced as well as our cp. I would like to see the introduction of an integrated pt. monitor that includes bp, pulse, SaO2, ecg, and alarm just like in hospital rooms. It would also be nice to have the recessed spigots like ridryder suggested.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
I know from the Beat up mods my service uses having air ride suspension on the rear wheels under the box would be awesome, and having all the switches for the lights, air conditioing, O2 and stuff be on the side next to you so you dont have to reach over your pt to turn stuff on and off.

Controls accessible from the bench seat is an optional feature on some Horton units.

RESQ_5_1

Forum Lieutenant
As far as the "Attendant" seat, we call that the "air chair". It's purpose is somewhere to sit while bagging. The new Modular that we got has digital temp controls in the back. It also has a seperate volume knob for the rear speakers. Well lit. Well organized. House O2 is accessible from inside and easy to switch out. And, we use the Zoll monitors. NIBP, SPO2 (which also gives us pulse rate), ETCO2, 4 lead ECG, and Defibrillator. And, it records it all to a memory card. Our biggest problem right now is trying to get the Bluetooth to work on them so we can download info to our E-PCRs. We also have Laerdal portable suction units on both rigs.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
I'm going to leave the details of my dream ambulance to myself due to the fact that it is really sexist;)

mikie

Forum Lurker
I had a recent thought, more pertaining to patient comfort. Perhaps on the ceiling, mount an LCD TV (nothing huge) that has a DVD player or some video features. Especially for those long transports, it might make the patient more calm. Especially peds- if you had cartoons or something on the sort.

I thought of that partially because my dentist office has that when your having a longer procedure done (cavities, etc).

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
One of the ambulances where I work has a padded ceiling in the back. Very nice. I guess it would reduce injuries a bit in a rollover. :D

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I had a recent thought, more pertaining to patient comfort. Perhaps on the ceiling, mount an LCD TV (nothing huge) that has a DVD player or some video features. Especially for those long transports, it might make the patient more calm. Especially peds- if you had cartoons or something on the sort.

I thought of that partially because my dentist office has that when your having a longer procedure done (cavities, etc).

Lots of pediatric (and other CCT rigs) have DVD players in them.
Then again, if I worked on the truck, and I had to watch the same episode of SpongeBob SquarePants every transport - I think I'd have to find a new job.

One of the ambulances where I work has a padded ceiling in the back. Very nice. I guess it would reduce injuries a bit in a rollover. :D
Or you could use that for the psych transfers... padded room to padded rig to padded room ;)

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
if I worked on the truck, and I had to watch the same episode of SpongeBob SquarePants every transport - I think I'd have to find a new job.

That would required hazardous duty pay!