Your opinion of police officers.

chriscemt

Forum Lieutenant
How do you know if they've paid their bills? And does that really matter? It's not like you'd arrive to the home of a frequent flyer and say "Sorry man, you're delinquent in your bills. Wish I could help you, but you know. Rules."

I don't handle billing, and I'm really not sure why that would have any effect on field treatments, regardless.

I do know, that per policy, all treatments are billable - but in practice some are not processed, for whatever reason.

FiremanMike

Just a dude
I had a part-time job at a rural fire department for awhile. At that point - I had about 10+ years experience at my FT department.

So we get a call one day for a crash. I show up and find a single vehicle that had rolled over, probably just once, and completely unoccupied. We search high and low for the driver, can't find him.

About an hour later we get called back, a trooper found the guy hiding in the woods, drunk and with some cuts and scrapes, but alert and oriented and fine other than being drunk. I did my assessment, told the trooper he was fine and he could handle it from here. The trooper, young go-getter that he was, said "oh no, you're taking him to the hospital, he's not dying in the back of my car".. dead serious.. not joking.

I laughed at him, told the drunk guy to walk over to my truck, and took him to the hospital.. He was fine by the way.

With all that said - I hold a police commission in a rural area and work a few times per month. The responders in my area are mostly volunteer with very low run volume. When we all show up together, I am generally far and above the most experienced provider there. I've not had an occasion to swing my **** around yet, but I suppose it could happen where I might debate with the on-scene crew. Thus far I've just asked if they needed any help and let them do their thing.. I don't think any of them actually know about my EMS background.

wtferick

Forum Captain
These types of questions will always have different answers. Everyone will always have more experience than another.

If he wants a ride to the hospital. You drive him to the hospital. DONE.