Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Both

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • Other

Votes: 4 11.4%

• Total voters

mikie

Forum Lurker
I've seen plenty of IV tips around the site, but I'd like to talk about a specific technique:

I've seen people mention going into the side of the veins instead of directly over top. My problem, lately, is that I try to go over top and wind up missing. Should I try this "going in through the side?" What's people's experience with this technique (and more details on how it's done)?

Thanks

TacoMEDIC

Forum Crew Member
I usually will go directly on top of the vein if the patient has "ropes". If the veins are smaller or obviously roll, I usually go lateral to the vein. Varies based on the patient/ situation for me. I never really thought of it though.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Don't limit yourself to one way of doing an IV. Work at "reading" the vasculature and adjusting your technique.

When you enter the skin to the side of the vein, you pierce the skin, then the vein, as two steps. This can be an advantage if the patient's skin is "leathery," if the vein is prominent and superficial, or if the vein rolls.

Often it's wiser to make your insertion slightly distal to the part of the vein that you're able to palpate. You know the vein is there because you can see it continuing proximally, but it's better stabilized for your stick where it's not as superficial.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Don't limit yourself to one way of doing an IV. Work at "reading" the vasculature and adjusting your technique.

Very well said. This is what I attempt to d0 myself. I have no set ways at all. As far as I am concerned, whatever works it what gets done. (Within reason of course.) I might go laterally on a vein one time and from above the next. I might hold the needle with my thumb and finger one time and then with my thumb and middle finger the next. I might use my pinky to steady my hand once and the heel of my hand the next. I have started them in so many different patients and under so many different conditions, there is no way I could maintain one technique.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Like others have said, I don't limit myself to just one way, especially since I'm just starting out with IV's. I would say that I prefer going in laterally if I feel that the veins might roll, but if they appear to be an easy stick then I'll going in from the top.

Cohn

Forum Lieutenant
I prefer the 90 degree stab and probe ;)

Actually I change it up depending on the pt.

Naota_X

Forum Crew Member
i start a little distal from the vein then go right in at a 35 degree angle that helped me alot when i was having trouble with them you will get it

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
i start a little distal from the vein then go right in at a 35 degree angle that helped me alot when i was having trouble with them you will get it

35-degree angle? I admire your precision! :)

Seriously, starting distally is good advice.

zombiemedic

Forum Ride Along
I usually go in from the top, but if I miss or the vein rolls I'll try to go in laterally rather than pull the needle

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
generally, what ever i think will work. i have never really thought about it, but i do either about the same frequency. blind insertions work too on the dark skinned patients.