You significant other...

Is you significant other also a EMT/Medic, Police officer, Firefighter?

• 1. yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3. have been in the past

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TKO

Forum Lieutenant
I have noticed over the years I have been involved in EMS that alot of ppl in our profession also have significant others that are in the Emergency Services too...Is this because EMS takes up so much of our lives and we are a tight group ..we might as well stick to "our own kind"? Do you enjoy that your partner is of the same profession?(someone who knows wat you are talking about when you are talking about).

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
Personally for me, I have a golden rule of NEVER date a girl involved in the emergency services! It is way to problematic (least from my experience and area) given the atmosphere and the mentality of 99.9% of firehouse guy's. They seem to not want to keep their sexually-related comments and sometimes hands to themselves.

I have dated two girls actually that were involved in the FD and EMS and the first one was pure hell and the other was pretty decent though. Besides, I think it's nice to have different interests sometimes to maintain a balance and not over concentrate on just fire/EMS. And not to mention that the majority of females in the FD have "been around" and are "known" quite well within the their respective and neighboring departments. I know that is a stereotype and fit's in my area so ladies please don't take offense if this is not you.

I know so many people that think about the FD/EMS 24/7 365. I used to be like that until I realized life consists of more then that. It is nice to have someone to talk to that is involved in the emergency services but then on the other hand it's nice to have someone understanding who is not, too.

I'll stick to my golden rule unless an absolute exception comes along.

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Nope, my wife doesn't want to have anything to do with it personally. However, her dad was a volunteer firefighter most of the time she was growing up (started when she was 2 or 3 and retired about 2 years ago), so she probably knew more about it than I did when I first started.

We have one married couple, one engaged couple and one dating couple on our department. The married couple both started well after their marriage. Husband joined first, and wife about a year later. The engaged couple I believe met in a fire science program before joining. The dating couple met at the department. We also have a captain who's in a long-term relationship with a former member (from back when they were both FFs).

During our most recent EMT classes, the wife of one of the FFs took the class (was 2nd in the class in fact), but doesn't plan on getting certified or working in the field. She just wanted it for personal knowledge and to better understand what her husband does.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Mine can't stand the site of blood. While playing softball one day I hit a pop fly to left field. The outfielder missed and the ball dropped right on the bridge of his nose, breaking it. :unsure: whoops There was blood everywhere and his wife transported him to the hospital. When my g/f, who was also playing, got up to him she saw all the blood and had to walk away. Me? I was the only one helping him. She patted me on the back as we were walking away. She said, "I don't know how you do it. I just don't understand how you can see that and not get sick." I just smiled and kept on walking.

Chimp

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by Chimpie@Jun 26 2004, 09:05 PM
Mine can't stand the site of blood. While playing softball one day I hit a pop fly to left field. The outfielder missed and the ball dropped right on the bridge of his nose, breaking it. :unsure: whoops There was blood everywhere and his wife transported him to the hospital. When my g/f, who was also playing, got up to him she saw all the blood and had to walk away. Me? I was the only one helping him. She patted me on the back as we were walking away. She said, "I don't know how you do it. I just don't understand how you can see that and not get sick." I just smiled and kept on walking.

Chimp
So, obviously you aren't allowed to discuss your day at work, are you? :p

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Well, not really. She does ask me every morning what happened during my shift. I just had to learn what to tell her and what not to tell her.

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
My sister's a nurse at a local hospital. Our folks, her and my wife, daughter and I get together for dinner every Sunday. Needless to say, our dinner conversation tends to focus on what she and I both did during the week, and we're always having to stop from going overboard. :D Of course, my family has a long-standing tradition of inappropriate dinner conversation. :lol:

sunshine1026

Forum Crew Member
I have found over the years that it is very difficult to be a female in emergency services and have a relationship with a guy who is not. I absolutely don't wish to stereotype, because I know that there are some guys out there who are the exception, but it seems like the guys who are not involved in fire/ems/law enforcement, etc. sometimes feel uncomfortable with the fact that I don't keep a regular schedule, that most of my co-workers are male, and that when the pager goes off I head out the door. Many of the female friends that I have in EMS/Fire have echoed this feeling. To be sure, there are some women out there who are the embodiment of the phrase "she gets around," but in all fairness there are guys who fit the bill as well.

I like the fact that I can discuss stuff with the guy I am currently involved with (he's a FF) and that he knows where I am coming from. I do make an effort to do things that are completely different than fire/EMS with my kids or my friends so that I don't end up with nothing else to talk about than the fire department. (learned that one the hard way!) :unsure:

firekountrybunny

Forum Ride Along
I have a rule not to date Professional Firefighters for large metropolitian areas. A lot of the ones I know tend not to be faithful to their wives. I broke the rule recently and guess what!!! Yup, I caught him early in the relationship lying about dating other women. Glad to find it out early before we got serious. So now I am back to the golden rule and sticking with it! I think it is something with the adrenaline rush of being unfaithful and trying not to get caught. The same goes with EMS and Police. Many of the people I have worked with in EMS are the same way and several have hit on me yet there is a Mrs. at home. I am sure that other professions have the same problems but being new to EMS - it has not be a good impression on me so far in that department. However, I find volunteers and small fire departments to be a totally different subject and they seem to have a litte more values and morals. At this point I have a small number of aquaintances to base this opinion on so maybe my mind can be changed in the future.

Firechic

Forum Lieutenant
I have dated one person in the business and we are now married.
Our first priority is home & family and we hardly mention work when we are at home.
An advantage is we understand the work schedule and/or demand of the job (late calls on shift, not calling each other all the time, training OT, a rough or tragic call, etc.) It does help a bit.

ma2va92

Forum Lieutenant
My wife works at the hospital and has been working in the ER=pre ED for 20 plus years .. in ct , mri , and alover the rad dept.. as she is (RT)®(CT)(MRI)(ARRT)... so we get to have the medical chats while sitting on the front porch having coffee...this has always been nice being i ihad been around several ER's in the past working Special Police .... so far so good.. we will be married 19 years at the end of Aug.