"You can't work on an ambulance and tan!!"

heatherabel3

Forum Lieutenant
So, I go tan this morning with a friend and we were talking about when school starts and being excited and whatnot and the girl at the desk asked what I was going for so I told her EMT. She had a fit and said that I shouldn't be tanning if thats what I'm gonna do, that it's like telling patients its ok to have cancer. That people in the medical field shouldn't be allowed to be overweight, smoke, or drink either because you can't tell people not to do it if your doing it and it sets a bad example. I have never really thought about it, but was curious as to how those of you who are actually in the field feel about her statement? Part of me says what I do in my own time is my own business and the other part says maybe she has a point and people in medicine should be held to a higher standard. Thoughts?

TB 3541

Forum Lieutenant
That's ridiculous. Smoking/overweight, yeah, that doesn't put out a good image for public health. But tanning? I mean, come on.

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
So? Most RTs are chain smokers.
You don't have to live your job. Just because we understand the potential consequences of our actions does not mean that we aren't allowed to take the risk. We see car accidents too, but that doesn't mean we should all stop driving.

I would have laughed in her face, then told her to mind her own business and push the button.

Remeber343

Forum Lieutenant
Drinking... Hmmmm.... I think it's therapeutic. Everyone should either take a shot in the morning or some good ol' vitamin A. All kidding aside, that's ridiculous. The lady that worked there can go pack sand, you might as well wear a full body veil during summer to, because being exposed might give you skin cancer and you don't want to be an advocate for cancer.

Doczilla

Forum Captain
I would ask her how many hours of dermatology she had take to qualify for her desk job.

People who tan "well" generally aren't in the skin cancer demographic.

OP
OP
heatherabel3

heatherabel3

Forum Lieutenant
I just laughed and told her that if that was the case I would have to give up tanning, sell my quads, clean out the liquer cabinet and sell the guns for safe measure. She didn't think I was funny.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
Hang on, the person saying this, she worked... at... the... tanning... salon?!
Oh god the irony is crippling.

Proposed answers:
"You're right. But you're peddling the stuff so you quit here and I'll quit tanning."

or

"Don't worry, shift work, heavy lifting and bad diet will kill me long before skin cancer."

or

The good ole fashioned look of confused astonishment followed by a hesitant "Is that a joke?" Nothing deflates people quicker.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Hang on, the person saying this, she worked... at... the... tanning... salon?!
Oh god the irony is crippling.

Proposed answers:
"You're right. But you're peddling the stuff so you quit here and I'll quit tanning."

or

"Don't worry, shift work, heavy lifting and bad diet will kill me long before skin cancer."

or

The good ole fashioned look of confused astonishment followed by a hesitant "Is that a joke?" Nothing deflates people quicker.

I like to say, "did you mean to say that OUT LOUD?"

Always BSI

Forum Lieutenant
Girl is trippin.

Wow my 100 post :')

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Some people you walk away from.

EMT John

Forum Crew Member
So she works at the tanning place and she's telling you that you shouldnt tan because it says it's ok to have skin cancer?

Ask her if shes pro skin cancer And call her a murderer for giving people skin cancer.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
So the employee of the tanning salon is telling you that you shouldn't be tanning, because it gives you cancer? So the employee openly admits that her job gives people cancer, yet she is ok with giving people cancer, but is saying it's not right that you get cancer on your own free will?

I think I would have asked her if she ate paint chips, or if she was dropped on her head when she was an infant. Her logic is faulty, her statement is asinine, and the smoking, drinking, promiscuity, poor sleep and diet habits, and high stress that is prevalent in our industry will kill me long before skin cancer does.

OP
OP
heatherabel3

heatherabel3

Forum Lieutenant
You are all correct. The -tans so much I'm almost orange- employee at the tanning salon informed me that due to my aspiring profession I should not be allowed to tan. I went this morning and she was there again and she actually asked me if I had taken the time to think about what she had said. I was like "DUDE! Telling me I can't tan because it's telling people it's ok to get cancer is like telling vets they can't eutheize animals because it would be giving their clients the ok to kill their own animals, or doctors not to vaccinate kids because it's giving parent the ok to stab their kid with a needle. Your logic is flawed but heres a little you might want to consider. Stop giving customer unsolicited advice or they just might stop tanning here." She just huffed but stopped talking long enough to give me my room number so I could walk away.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Sort of a convoluted reply, but...
1. IF that is the caliber of intelligence in that establishment, why go there? Or, is it even safe to go there?
2. When a cosmetic voluntary procedure with known negative health impact sparks such an argument, the situation needs to be examined.

Was the clerk like your mom? ;)