Would you put tools to the car in this MVA?

Would you have put tools to the car and removed doors and/or B post?

• yes

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • no

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
OP
OP
DrParasite

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I believe the only belief was a possibly LOC, as she didn't recall the incident. No complaints otherwise. I don't think she even had back pain or neck pain (but I wasn't inside, so I don't know for sure, she might have.

As for EMS, ALS arrived and pretty much stood out of the way until FD had her out. BLS arrived 5 minutes later. But the FF/EMTs already decided that she was going to be taken out and backboarded and c-collared

As for why not use the KED, well, the FF in charge had 22 years of experience as an EMT, and 15 years as a FF, it was his decision..........

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
DrParasite

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I want to add, I wanted to take the door off since we had the manpower, the car was totaled (rollover damaged the frame), and it would have made things easier for us to take her out of the car.

Had we not had the manpower, or it wasn't a rollover, or we could have opened the door 100 degrees, I would have left it as it was. or if it wasn't dispatched as an entrapment, and the FD wasn't already there.

but when I mentioned that to the guy in charge, he told me he had 22 years of experience as an EMT, and 15 years as a FF, and implied "his decisions were not to be questioned!!"

Just wanted to get some other opinions, thanks

Backwoods

Forum Crew Member
Why? just to ruin the FDs day and its an extra time consuming step i dont need to remove the patient from the vehicle.

Time consuming? Im not sure about where your from, but my department is relatively quick at extrication, it would literally take two minutes to set up the tools and get the door off. And it would a good call for some of the new guys to get some practice with the tools.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Time consuming? Im not sure about where your from, but my department is relatively quick at extrication, it would literally take two minutes to set up the tools and get the door off. And it would a good call for some of the new guys to get some practice with the tools.

i can't remove the patient from the suspended possibly painful position until the doors are removed, and I dont want to wait for fire to get their act together and cut. Its also not my responsiblity to make sure another agencys new guys "get some practice with the tools"

As far as having xx years as a ff and all that bs, my question for the FF would have been simple "So you will be transporting this patient? Oh, thats right youre in an engine"

He is there as a FF, once medical arrives medical makes the calls regarding patient care and that includes extrication

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
FD trumps on scene safety, but yeah, doors or roof or whatever off to protect the patient AND to allow providers a better chance of working without injury. In my "wasn't-there" opinion.

Arovetli

Forum Captain
My experience with upside down patients is they are either badly injured or pinned up and can't move thus requiring the extrication routine or they have crawled out or are actively attempting to crawl out. Never seen anybody hang upside down for the heck of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
My experience with upside down patients is they are either badly injured or pinned up and can't move thus requiring the extrication routine or they have crawled out or are actively attempting to crawl out. Never seen anybody hang upside down for the heck of it.

The last 2 roll overs I had, the seatbelt retention pin fired so the seatbelt would let out more slack and the patients weight on the belt made the buckle lock up, ended up having to cut the belt

Patient had no complaints besides doing really stupid things in a car