Would you pay $60 for....?

Jeremy89

Forum Captain
A penlight??

Allheart carries one for $54. Would you buy it?

I don't think I would, just for the simple reason that the cheapo ones work just fine, and I'd likely end up loosing it.

Thoughts?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Not 60... but I did buy a not quite so cheap streamlight penlight

mikie

Forum Lurker
i guarantee it would disappear after 1 call.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Go to local drug store or Kragen Auto

Buy a two-AA cell flashlight with the simple peanut bulb (not if you have peanut allergies...oh my aching patoot). Replace bulb with krypton bulb. Carry spare bulb and batteries. Total cost can be about ten for the whole schmeer, and the light per se may be as cheap as four. You can change batteries or the bulb in the dark (unlike a maglite with wheat grain bulb), and the light is closer to daylight than screaming blue LED's (although I carry two of those as well, for area and emergency illumination).

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
i cant imagine a 60 dollar pen light. i do have flashlight that cost wuite a bit more than 60 bucks, but not a pen light.

i just steal those from the supply room......

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
i cant imagine a 60 dollar pen light. i do have flashlight that cost wuite a bit more than 60 bucks, but not a pen light.

i just steal those from the supply room......
I don't even bother getting my own. I usually have a student/aid with me with FAR too much stuff on their belt/pockets... and if I don't.... I've got a great Streamlight Stinger. I just can't aim it in the eyes directly.... except if I was 100 feet away

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Money and the penlight....

Hmmmm... Nice dinner or a penlight........hmmmmm :rolleyes:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Get a free penlight from a drug rep and spend the $60 on something you will use.

R/r 911

Scout

Para-Noid
Why? Because there is a market. You all knwo theose new shinny emt's/First responders with all the kit and in that world cost = quality

That and those Docs that make too much money and need shinny things in a shirt pocket

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
That's steep for a incandescent bulb penlight. I paid about $40.00 for a three LED pen light that I keep in my photo bag. The LED consume very little power and with all three LEDs on, it provides great lighting for me.

emt_angel25

Forum Lieutenant
i bought a $40 penlight right after i started 6 years ago....i had it for almost a year before it disappeared. as nice as it was i cannot afford buying a $40 penlight every year. i jsut think thats a little rediculous. i cant believe i paid 40 for one. i like the cheapies. ;)

JPINFV

Gadfly
$60 won't even cover the application fee for most medical schools. >.< (just spent another $70 a few minutes ago. Go Temple go!)

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
In a word "No". I carried a basic MiniMag for years until the Everready batteries leaked and ruined it. I sent it with a letter to Everready and they told me to buy another and send them the bill. I did and they paid.
Either get a cheapie from some rep or get a minimag.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
No, I wouldn't buy that for $60.

I did briefly consider the Welch-Allyn Professional PenLight, which has a halogen bulb for truer lit colors than the bluish tint cast by LEDs. Allheart sells it for $36. http://www.allheart.com/wa76600.html

I wound up buying a much cheaper ADC for under $10 from Boundtree. It replaced a similarly-priced DynaMed I got from Galls. The DynaMed penlight's clip was weak and it would slip out of its pocket if I kicked my legs up (I kept it in the pen slot on the right cargo area of my EMS pants), which led to it going missing. The ADC feels cheap and flimsy compared to the DynaMed, but the DynaMed had a bluish LED compared to the ADC's white.

Next time I have to buy a penlight, I might try the Welch-Allyn. I won't be too broke up about it if the ADC goes missing.

reaper

Working Bum
I use my Stinger. If I don't get a response from that, They are either dead or on some awesome drugs!!!!!!

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
There are a few things that I refuse to spend more than $10-15 on due to the high probability that I will lose or break them, like sunglasses. I wasn't even aware that you could even spend such a ridiculous amount of money on a penlight, but now that I am, I will add penlights to the list.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I have bought few and lost many penlights over time. I always carry a flashlight of some work when working (different depending on job and uniform). About a year ago, a friend gave me a LED keychain light (one of those dinky things) with the name of his squad on it, and I put it on my stethoscope. I have used it countless times due to its size, location and reliability.

I see this as an increasing trend in my life/EMS-- in many cases the price and simplicity of a piece of equipment is inversely related to its reliability and ease of use. I have lost/broken/etc. too many expensive "toys" and replaced them with cheap things that work better and last longer.

flhtci01

Forum Captain
I would not.

Learned a while ago that the speed at which things come up missing is directly proprtional to the cost.