Would you have called it?

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
ALS crew plus ALS fire engine dispatched to SNF for a 76 year old man presenting with lethargy. The pt. is paraplegic (that's all you know for know...) but is otherwise healthy with a normal mental baseline. ALS crew arrives to find the man in sinus bradycardia with inadequate peripheral (or central) perfusion. The crew took a BGL which was at 30 mg/dl. The crew pushed D50 and initiated TCP, which was effective showing good capture on the monitor. 12 lead was never obtained as the pt. deteriorated before one could be obtained.

Crew loaded to transfer with nearest hospital 10 minutes out. While loading, pt. deteriorated into asystole when TCP was d/c and ACLS protocols were started. Compressions were started, no drugs given in route. Crew opted to bypass ETI during transport and placed a King successfully. Pt. was managed successfully with the king until arrival to the hospital. Good vascular access with 2 18g PIV bilaterally in the arms.

At the hospital, a round of ACLS meds were given and the rhythm converted into PEA. RT successfully converted the King to a ET tube on the first attempt. Hung a bag of D10. I don't have an updated BGL to give you. Soon after, pt. converted into NSR with pulse of 109 and a BP of 100/56. Patient was still being ventilated and a norepi drip was started. Patient maintained this status for 4 minuted before crashing again.

VFib on the monitor. Compressions started. ER Doc opted to shock at 200J. Push epi. Shock. Call the code.

Obviously, this ultimately played out in the ED. However, had this same scenario played out in the field (minus the norepi drip), would you have called it or would you have continued resuscitative efforts?

Personally, I would have continued resuciation and would have transported since the patient has converted out of asystole once into a normal rhythm and the cause, to the best of my knowledge, is reversible (hypoglycemia). The docs said that he was probably deteriorating throughout the night and was dying during the night. But for a person who has converted out of a terminal rhythm once, I would have aggressively carried on until someone else called it (read as EDP). If I continued, what is the chance that he would have a meaningful recovery with neurological condition intact to discharge? Not very good. Is it my call to try to decipher his odds and what may have happened throughout the night? I don't think so.

Burritomedic1127

Forum Captain
IMHO I wouldn't have called it. Seeing how you got ROSC before and how the pt went into a shockable rhythm when he re arrested, I'm seeing some fight left in the pt.

As far as withholding resuscitation based on whether or not the pt will have a positive neurologically outcome, unfortunately that's not for us to decide. I've seen terminally ill 98 yo grandma in cardiac arrest lying peacefully in her bed and thinking/assuming this was probably what she wants, but you know you have to drop a world of ACLS on her for the family. Most likely IF you get her back her outcomes will be poor (I've seen stranger things though) but like I said it's not up to us decide if we should or should not based off assumption of quality of life if saved. If the family says no, valid DNRs, and signs of biological death then i wouldn't even work the pt. Everything else whether morally right or wrong we have to.

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Two questions. Why shock at 200...?

Next, what was the rhythm after the last shock? I'm assuming asystole again?

I agree, if he is full code, then give it further go. It sounds like the airway was very well and immediately managed in addition to compressions being started before the Pt hit the floor. I do not see why there would be significant neurological deficit, especially since a low BGL was involved. Ever get an initial SpO2?

If he is a full code and no one says otherwise (potentially, in this case the EDP), then I'm running a full code. Or at least a little bit more time.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Two questions. Why shock at 200...?

Next, what was the rhythm after the last shock? I'm assuming asystole again?

I agree, if he is full code, then give it further go. It sounds like the airway was very well and immediately managed in addition to compressions being started before the Pt hit the floor. I do not see why there would be significant neurological deficit, especially since a low BGL was involved. Ever get an initial SpO2?

If he is a full code and no one says otherwise (potentially, in this case the EDP), then I'm running a full code. Or at least a little bit more time.
We defib patients in Vfib and Vtach at 200J followed by 300J and then 360j.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Sounds like a monophasic defibrillator. I believe Zoll also recommends 200J biphasic as well. Philips says 150J. It's device and manufacturer specific.

I would not have called this code, I wouldn't have D/Cd TCP either although it's an easy thing to accidentally do by losing a limb lead, with the MRx at least.

If we were still on scene and hadn't moved and he re-arrested I would've worked him in place until ROSC or termination orders. By moving him intra-arrest you're taking any chance he has away.

I don't quite understand why norepi was hung with those vitals post arrest...

Also, hypoglycemia was removed from the "Hs&Ts" if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited:

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Sounds like a monophasic defibrillator. I believe Zoll also recommends 200J biphasic as well. Philips says 150J. It's device and manufacturer specific.

I would not have called this code, I wouldn't have D/Cd TCP either although it's an easy thing to accidentally do by losing a limb lead, with the MRx at least.

If we were still on scene and hadn't moved and he re-arrested I would've worked him in place until ROSC or termination orders. By moving him intra-arrest you're taking any chance he has away.

I don't quite understand why norepi was hung with those vitals post arrest...

Also, hypoglycemia was removed from the "Hs&Ts" if I'm not mistaken.
LP12 (at least for us) is biphasic and uses the 200J, 300J, 360J. The Zolls we trained on were 120J, 150J, and then 200J.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
We still just use 150J straight across. Cardioversion is 100J-150J-200J-200J-200J...

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
ALS crew plus ALS fire engine dispatched to SNF for a 76 year old man presenting with lethargy. The pt. is paraplegic (that's all you know for know...) but is otherwise healthy with a normal mental baseline. ALS crew arrives to find the man in sinus bradycardia with inadequate peripheral (or central) perfusion. The crew took a BGL which was at 30 mg/dl. The crew pushed D50 and initiated TCP, which was effective showing good capture on the monitor. 12 lead was never obtained as the pt. deteriorated before one could be obtained.

Crew loaded to transfer with nearest hospital 10 minutes out. While loading, pt. deteriorated into asystole when TCP was d/c and ACLS protocols were started. Compressions were started, no drugs given in route. Crew opted to bypass ETI during transport and placed a King successfully. Pt. was managed successfully with the king until arrival to the hospital. Good vascular access with 2 18g PIV bilaterally in the arms.

At the hospital, a round of ACLS meds were given and the rhythm converted into PEA. RT successfully converted the King to a ET tube on the first attempt. Hung a bag of D10. I don't have an updated BGL to give you. Soon after, pt. converted into NSR with pulse of 109 and a BP of 100/56. Patient was still being ventilated and a norepi drip was started. Patient maintained this status for 4 minuted before crashing again.

VFib on the monitor. Compressions started. ER Doc opted to shock at 200J. Push epi. Shock. Call the code.

Obviously, this ultimately played out in the ED. However, had this same scenario played out in the field (minus the norepi drip), would you have called it or would you have continued resuscitative efforts?

Personally, I would have continued resuciation and would have transported since the patient has converted out of asystole once into a normal rhythm and the cause, to the best of my knowledge, is reversible (hypoglycemia). The docs said that he was probably deteriorating throughout the night and was dying during the night. But for a person who has converted out of a terminal rhythm once, I would have aggressively carried on until someone else called it (read as EDP). If I continued, what is the chance that he would have a meaningful recovery with neurological condition intact to discharge? Not very good. Is it my call to try to decipher his odds and what may have happened throughout the night? I don't think so.

I probably wouldn't give up quite that easily....I think as long as they remain in VF, they deserve a handful of shocks. But I also don't think a long, drawn out resuscitation effort is called in a 76 year old with (presumably) cardiovascular co-morbidities and a significant likelihood that the underlying cause is untreatable (a large PE). Then again I also would not have started norepinephrine with those vitals - but that's a whole 'nother discussion.

I think in general, we expend way too much of our limited resources on resuscitation for resuscitation's sake, with too little attention paid to the cost vs. the likelihood of success vs. the subsequent quality of life.

OP
OP
MonkeyArrow

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
We use Zoll M series monitors in the hospital, which use a biphasic defibrillation up to a maximum of 200J. The rhythm after the last shock was Vfib to my knowledge. Pulseless. Sorry, but I don't have an initial SPO2 to give you. As to transporting in asystole, I believe that he was still in brady with pacing when he was being loaded. I'm assuming that he deteriorated en route. As to the norepi, I think the EDP was basing the decision off of the early bradycardia and was rather willing to keep the HR elevated rather than risk the rate dropping into needing TCP again.

Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure that there are more drugs that were ordered, but were all d/c after he crashed again. I know the doc ordered a portable CXR and the full plethora of blood work, but I'll see if I can't pull up the chart when I'm at work again on Saturday.

ricardoj

Forum Probie
Dumb question, but are you sure of the DNR/MOLST status? And beyond that was the family on scene possibly terminating efforts? Sorry if I missed reading either.

As for the norepi drip, not sure what the specific in house protocols are for rosc. Could be the doc was trying to get ahead of the curve. That pressure wasn't necessarily hypotensive in and of itself, but it also wasn't very high either.

OP
OP
MonkeyArrow

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
Dumb question, but are you sure of the DNR/MOLST status? And beyond that was the family on scene possibly terminating efforts? Sorry if I missed reading either.

As for the norepi drip, not sure what the specific in house protocols are for rosc. Could be the doc was trying to get ahead of the curve. That pressure wasn't necessarily hypotensive in and of itself, but it also wasn't very high either.

No DNR as he came from a SNF with a full chart, no advance directives. Family was not on scene or at the hospital until after the code had been called (an hour later I think they arrived to the hospital).